Taxation

bixy

Trying to do everything by the book, and following the advice on this forum, we have informed HMRC of our move to France. We have heard nothing from them. Is that normal?

We also tried to inform the French tax authorities but they didn't seem particularly interested. We were told that all we need to do is file a tax declaration next spring. Is that correct?

Patrick

Took several weeks for Inland Revenue to reply to my letter.  Did get a rebate cheque and a tax code which would be very useful for our first French tax return next spring.

Others on the forum will know more but I do believe that your first French tax return is due in the spring following the year of your move.

bixy

HMRC will send you a P85 which you complete as confirmation that you have left the UK. Once they receive it back from you, they'll transfer your file to the Centre for Non-residents who will send you the FD5 tax reclaim form.  You should receive these reasonably quickly, but don't worry - there's no rush at this stage.

As mentioned, your first French tax declaration will be due in Spring 2008, so you'll need to visit your tax office in late April and pick up the forms.  Once you're in the system, they send them to you automatically in future.

You hand over your FD5 with your first declaration.  It goes to Paris for certification then back to the CNR.  Your UK tax refund will then be processed in due course.

• 3 months later...
I submitted my first tax return in May 2007.Because I previously submitted a micro bic return to Paris, my local tax office expalined thatI had to send my tax return to Paris, they would close my file, send my file to my local office and then I would get athe forms to pay my taxes.This has happened, I have paid the social part, and the remainder is due to paid in March. Meanwhile I have emailed the IK centre for non residents who tell me that they have not yet received form FD5 from the French tax office. Do they usually wait for the tax to be paid before sendinf off the FD5 or is this normally done when you enter the system?

Your local french tax office add your tax reference number to both copies of the FD5 that you submitted in May 2007 and forward them to an office in Paris for onward submission to HMRC. This flags to HMRC that you are in the French tax system.

In your case there is every possibility that something has gone wrong. Go back to your local French tax office and explain the situation to them, although I'd be tempted to make another enquiry of the UK centre for non-residents before I did so.

Whilst Benjamin is correct, this is not what my tax office did!  I tried to submit the FD5 with my first tax return but they would not sign it until I was actually paying.  So, I had to trog back to the office months later, once I had got my payment request and coughed up, whereupon they signed it, then gave it back to me to send to the UK.  Not at all what the instructions suggest at all.  Whatever, it worked and (months later) I got my UK tax back and my code was changed.

I would definately go back to your tax office, as it seems they do not all do things correctly, at least this was my experience...

[quote user="Gardian"]

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]Your UK tax refund will then be processed in due course.[/quote]

But don't hold your breath - around 9 mths on current form.

This effectively means early 2009, even if you act promptly.

[/quote]

Definitely don't hold your breath. Several months after moving I had a tax bill from the UK for over £4000, even though I was on PAYE. Obviously I payed promptly. Then after another several months they sent me another letter saying, sorry we got it wrong, we owed you the money!!! The cheque arrived eventually.

I was the original poster for this thread. I have had another thought [it happens occasionally!]. My UK income is so low that I will not have paid any tax in the last year. My question is, do I still need to send in the FD5  with my first French tax return, since there is no tax to reclaim? My feeling is that I probably should, as it will make clear to all that I am now part of the French system. Am I right?

Patrick