Paying in a cheque

cooperlola

WARNING: This is a really silly question - I'm quite surprised I don't know the answer myself.

Can I pay a personal cheque in to a different guise of Credit Agricole bank?  ie - my account is CA Normandie.  If I pay it in at a Pays de la Loire branch, will it find its way to my account?  I know they're different banks but are the dots joined up for a simple transaction like this?  (It says something that I've been here four years and this is the first time anybody's sent me a cheque.)

I had a cheque to pay into CA Normandie (Britline !). I just posted it to the bank and when I checked on line a few days later - There it was on my statement. I remember thinking it seemed faster than paying a cheque into your own branch in the UK.

First year here (almost 6 years ago now - doesn't time fly!) I assumed I could pay a cheque into any branch of CA but when I tried, out of my region, I was told it was not possible. I drove 10km down the road to my own branch and paid it in there. Bit short sighted but I think this is one of the "improvements" they are considering.

Coops  I pay in cheques from CA Centre France all the time to CA nord Midi Pyrenees, there will be no problem or time delay. 

What I think you may be worrying about it that people have had difficulties when paying money into a different regional CA branch to credit to their "home" CA account, with these transactions there is often a charge and a delay.

Thanks all.

That's the thing, Ron - one is made so aware (on here and elsewhere) that the banks are not the same region to region, and are run seperately and thus I don't want my cheque to disappear into the depths of the French banking system!

I'm just gonna wing it and hope - the thing is that it's all electronic deposits now (ie bunged into a hole in the wall with no teller) so it's not as easy as the days when you could just ask the oik behind the counter.[:)]

Hello

My branch of CA is in the Vienne, when I sold a property there and moved to the Charente I went into the CA bank in Angouleme and tried to pay in a very large cheque for the proceeds of the sale.  They said they could not accept it and I had to post it to my own branch, they couldn't even post it though any internal means, let alone let me pay it in and credit it electronically! 

So I went in to CIC just up the street with whom I also had an account in the Vienne and they took it, their systems are linked so now all my banking is via CIC.

Panda

We had a situation similar to Panda's.  We have 2 CA accounts, one in Normandy and the other in Aquitaine for day to day use.  I tried to pay a large cheque in our Aquitaine branch for credit to our Normandy account and was told by the cashier that this was not possible.  I was informed that I would have to post the cheque to Caen.

You want to be down here.  Normandie is virtually (no, definitely) Mars to the folks behind the counter in our local CA branch. Light years away, wrinkled brows as they look at your RIB, definitely a big problem.

Just put your a/c no on the back, sign it and send it off to Caen. Sorted.