Warning to Nationwide Card users

Chancer

I had been waiting for the cardreader and new debit card to be sent out for my Flex account before the end of May as they had advised.

My neighbour in England advised me last week that they had just arrived  but perhaps he was delayed in contacting me, I phoned the branch who informed me that I had one month before the old card would become inactive so last night I asked my neighbour to forward the card to me, the reader can wait until I return.

Today in the supermarket my card was refused and on phoning the card help line they confirmed that it has been deactivated as according to their records they sent out the new one on the 3rd of May.

Luckily not a great inconvenience at the moment as long as the new one arrives soon but I am glad that I am not still travelling with it, although of course I did have other back up plans.

It just goes to show how reliant we are one card use for paying for most things and in my case transferring money to my French account.

[quote user="J.R gone native"]

My neighbour in England advised me last week that they had just arrived  but perhaps he was delayed in contacting me, [/quote]

Why don't you tell Nationwide that you have moved to France then you will not have this problem again?

Edit: I see that you in France and Sussex so I withdraw my statement.

Sue [8-)]

JR's post

"Dont worry Sue!

Have they really re-issued cards and sent out readers to French resident customers?"

Yes, JR, I live in Charente Maritime and I had my card reader weeks and weeks ago and I have also used it, no probs.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

I have used my NW credit card on line and I did have to use the card reader.

[/quote]

Sweet 17, this is very strange as the card reader is not used for NW credit cards but only for NW FlexAccount Visa debit card customers. Also it is only used for internet banking transactions with NW and some other banks and I am not aware of any card readers being used for on line retail transactions.

If I am wrong perhaps you could confirm your posting as the card readers were only intended for bank account security.

Baz

Baz, my apologies, I got a bit confused because I have the same code (I know, I know, bad girl!) for all my cards, etc.

What I had to use the reader for was to pay my Tesco Credit Card on line, so I suppose that in effect I was using my debit card (not that I use my debit card, ever, other than to withdraw money from the ATM).  I already had the Tesco details set up as a Standing Order on my account so that I usually just click on it, pay it and it's sorted.  The last time, however, the screen prompted me to use my card reader.

So, forgive my confusion and I hope I didn't worry anybody unnecessarily!

I had thought that also Ernie having only just got a new chip and PIN card just before the announcement re the cardreaders and issuing of chip and pin cards to work with them . My current  card has an expiry date of 2011 but that did not prevent them from voiding it T.D.S.

I did know that yet another new card was waiting for me but others dependant on their situation may not realise or they may not have been delivered hence the posting.

Come to think of it, it would not have hurt them to send an e-mail saying your new card has been dispatched and your old one will be voided when you use the new one or after 28 days.

My neighbour in England confirms that it arrived 10 days ago.

[quote user="Pads"]I have a NW flexi visa debit card but I have not heard any thing about these card readers ....  what do you do with them....[8-)][/quote]

Pads

Do you do internet banking? if not you will not get one!

You have to been registered for online banking to need the card reader.

If you already do online banking with NW then you should of had notification that that the card-reader system was coming into force and they should have sent you one by now or some time soon , as others have said they are only now receiving them.

I had my card-reader months ago and I have only needed to use it once to confirm a transaction I was performing on NW online banking.

Apparently any card reader will do, I also have a Natwest one. 

Hope this helps

When you go to your banks web site you get to a stage where you are asked to put in the details of one of your cards, then you put the card into the reader and after a prompt, enter your pin code. A series of numbers is then generated which you input, that allows you into your account - it's a security measure, but quite how it works I'm not sure. There is a similar procedure required for online payments too.

Thanks russethouse .. well I have never been told about this . or told to expect one of these machines , I have code words / numbers that I just enter to get into my account .... will it plug into your computer ? 

Is it big ? another thing to lug around when on the move [:@] 

Thanks GB .... Although I have a card and use it to pay on line for things( flights/ amazon...)  and take it to france to get extra cash out if I need it..... I dont use it to pay bills via my online bank or have any standing orders would this be why I have not been contacted about this ?  

My new card arrived yonks ago and then in May I suddenly could not perform certain tasks on the internet as I needed the card reader which had not yet arrived. After e-mailing NW, one then turned up within 48 hours.  Yesterday, the original one came in the post.....

• 6 months later...

Just a heads up, it seems that if you have 2 cards then you need a reader for each, unless someone knows differently that is, or how to change the default card number which it asks for (mine, and I'm offshore) to Madame's (who isn't!) but needs to transfer some money but can't [:-))]

Grrrrrr

ErnieY. I am somewhat mystified by your problem as the card readers appear to be universal. I can use Nationwide card reader for for my Natwest cards and visa versa. The readers read your card details and check your pin number and then give you the required code to carry out you transaction. So they appear to be solely activated by one's card and in fact my wife's cards work with the same readers. I hope I have  understood your problem and am not confusing you.

Even with this additional security device, I have only been required to use the Card Reader once in the last 6 months and I use Internet banking daily.

Baz