Newbie and Advice

Hi all - we are first time buyers looking for a holiday home/ semi retirement property in either Poitou Charentes or Limousin area - we are off on our holiday/viewing trip and have about 11 properties lined up to view in our first week - we are hoping to make a decision whilst there as time is tight with work etc - been doing the research and have our mortgage approved in principal but am looking to collate questions to take with us for agents etc including habite/fonciere costs, how long property on market etc etc - what I CANNOT get my head around are the agency fees I am getting conflicting advise - if the agency fee is included in the asking price is it payable by the vendor? OR if not can I include it in the total price paid for the property for mortgage purposes? Confused of Bolton and looking for help! Any other tips on what to look out for on a veritable viewing bonanza would be greatly appreciated - looking forward to joining you all on here and avoiding pitfalls - thanks and looking forward to the feedback - funk42

Hi

We are a few months ahead of you. It is unlikely that a bank will allow you to include the agency fee.

My advice is to seek out and use a good UK based lawyer.

Holidays and house viewing trips do not generally mix. We set aside a week and managed to view less than twenty properties.

Probably not what you want to hear, but viewing and making a decision quickly can be very expensive in the long run. Some houses that look fantastic in the sunshine can be damp, running with water, or even flooded in the depth of winter. If you fall in love with a house in the very worst conditions, it is likely to serve you very well.

The areas you have chosen to look in are huge. There must be literally thousands of properties for sale in each of those departments. If you are only going to look at 11 properties in a week and hope to make a decision on the house for you I wish you well but my advice would be not to think that you have to come away with a result.

You may be lucky and find just what you want, (I did but am still here in the UK 2 years on but that's another story). But unless you you are 100% sure it`s the right one it could turn out to be an expensive regret.

Good luck in your search.

Dexter

Thanks everybody and it shows how much conflicting information and advice there is out there especially regards English speaking notaire etc rather than a UK based lawyer - most other websites I subequently visited told me that as long as the agency fees were included in the Compromis de Vente that a mortgage provider would be happy to include ?? see what I mean about conflicts - I appreciate plans may seem ambitious and lets just roll with it and see what happens, not looking for my 'dream' property looking for something I get a feel for and if non of them are it well so be it - it is a big area I understand that but my requirements are specific in terms of condition ,size etc not looking for a wreck because just not got the time to do anything to it so that narros down my options somewhat - would be lovely to pursue the idea of buying a shell and making it a mansion but just not got the time to manage this type of thing - thanks for your advice all of which will be taken on board and I'll keep you posted on progress - thanks - funk42

In our experience 2 years ago, we had two different (French) mortgage offers.  One allowed us to include the notaires fees - but not the agency fees - the other allowed neither.  So it must vary from bank to bank and deal to deal.

Naively or not, (so far no adverse effects) we did not use a lawyer.  The notaire insisted that we had a translator for the actual sale, even though my French is pretty good, because the whole contract had to be read out in the presence of both parties and the notaire had to be sure that we had understood what we were committing ourselves to.

However, I would strongly recommend getting a survey before signing the compromis - not the standard practice in France and not necessarily easy to find someone suitable, but persevere.  We have come to realise just how much DIY building is done by people in our area and you can't be sure that they are aware of either safety regulations or basic structural requirements.

Most houses seem to be on the market for ages so don't worry that you have to snap up a property in case you get pipped to the post!

Hope you enjoy the experience as much as we have done.

Helen

First of all sorry I cannot put para breaks in!

I think it helps to have a clear set of selection criteria you want before looking. Here are a few suggestions.

New property, renovation project or someting in between? What size of garden? a lot of land may seem great but you can feel like a farmer with some big gardens.

Do you to be in a town with neighbours, do you want to be near shops, reataurants, a station, airport. Is mains drainage important or would you rather have something more rural with a septic tank. Also do you want the town to have some visible activity during the day many towns can seem like ghost towns.

What sort of climate do you want and do the areas you are looking at match your requirement? There can been great seasonal changes.

Do you want to be near other British people or would you prefer not to be?

Re the English lawyer lots of people will have positive experience with and without them. It depends on your appetite for risk. Its like insurance you probably won't need it but when you do you are very glad to have it. Thousands of purchases go through without a problem (as in the UK) but when things go wrong they really do. Remember notaires do not act like UK solicitors so you will need to do some of your own work regarding potential current or local impacts on your property.

Good luck

[quote user="Braco"]Hi

We are a few months ahead of you. It is unlikely that a bank will allow you to include the agency fee.

My advice is to seek out and use a good UK based lawyer.

Holidays and house viewing trips do not generally mix. We set aside a week and managed to view less than twenty properties.[/quote]

If the OP is asking to include the agency fees of 5 to 10% then he is probably looking for a 100% mortgage. He should not bother wasting further money on a UK based lawyer which is an unnecessary extravagance.

We did not use an english lawyer who wanted about Ā£1,600 but shopped around and got an english speaking notaire.  They are short of work so are far happier to be accomodating than previously. As we were buying from an englishman the whole process was carried out in English.

Find out as much about the process as you can and understand the steps and what happens.  You are far less likely to get caught out.  The forums on here helped me a lot.

If you buy from an englishman you can pay in sterling if it suits you both otherwise as soon as you are happy with a price set your currency risk by purchasing forward.  I started looking a year ago at 1.28 and completed in Feb at 1.06 so I would not have been able to proceed if not doing the deal in sterling.  Set your budget and stick to it - walk away if you cant get what you want.

If you get a euro mortgage make sure there are no early repayment penalties - you may be able to remortgage if the rate improves

Even decent looking places are likely to need work so leave some of your budget for this (and it can be expensive in France).

Yes get a survey - I did at a cost of about ā‚¬600 and its results gave me great comfort and even stopped the possibility of me getting ripped off by builders quoting for the small bits of work we needed.  Dont get too much land and dont be seduced by the derelict barns ripe for conversion - you wont be able to afford it.

Finally if the worst comes to the worst the only thing you cannot remedy is location so dont compromise on that.

Good luck.

Hi Bob T

It all depends on the value of the property you are purchasing. On more expensive properties Ā£1500 is peanuts when compared to the potential pitfalls.

Taking out near 100% mortgages with out substantial reserves to handle unforeseen expenses/currency movements/redundancy in this climate would be not unlike playing roulette.

As far as I`m concerned a survey is a must. You wouldn't consider parting with tens of thousands of pounds for a house in the UK without one so why should it be different for a french property.

The surveyor I used gave me two options, I could have a written survey report posted to me  in the UK, or for half the price he would give me the same report verbally over the phone.

Dexter 

Hi Dexter

If you are paying for a survey I suggest that the value would be having the surveyorā€™s professional indemnity insurance, and this can only be relied on with a written report.

The need for a survey depends very much on your own skills and the type of property.

I did not use a surveyor.

I think the most important element in looking for a house is not actually looking for the House!, The area in our case was more important, so we spent several holidays enjoying the area before looking at property (having toured France on holiday with half an eye on the estate agents windows and picking up the immobilier magazine with the papers at the local presse). We enjoyed hols in various seasons checking out local facilities, markets, towns and of course even restaurants, (renting gites gives you an entirely different perspective on an area and you learn a lot from the people), then tried different methods of transport, plane, train as well as car before picking a specific region for house hunting, start to finish was three years, There's plenty of houses. A House might be great but once you have it you could find the area is not really where you want to be. [8-|]

I agree about the area being most important. We've known the area we bought in for years, often visited our little town, but never thought we'd buy there; too far south and too expensive. We had found our dream place in the Drome, in a hamlet near places we knew and loved. You know the sort of thing, old stone etc but beautifully restored. No large garden - just the thing to lock up and leave. But we lost it - and now we are sure it was for the best. We bought an apartment off-plan - we'd never even considered an apartment. We love where we are, enjoy our little town more than ever, warts and all (and everywhere has to have a few warts!)

Be sure you love the area - you can change many things about a property, but not the location.

Happy hunting, Jo

have not read through the whole thread, so not sure if already mentioned. Make sure you visit the area in every season - many here have complained about the severe weather in winter and how very boring it is once tourists have gone. No evening classes, culture, people to meet, etc. Also from posters here, neighbours make a huge difference. Being next to barking dogs or unpleasant, rude, noisy people - especially if they hate the 'Brits who take over' etc- can be a nightmare. If you have pets or are sensitive to animal rights, you may also find that hunting activities in the autumn in particular, could make your life miserable. Many have had pets trapped or poisoned too.

You definitely have to take the rose spectacle off before making up your mind.