Need Tips for House Renovation?

I'm planning to renovate my house soon, but I could really use some advice. Can anyone share tips or experiences they've had with house renovation projects? Whether it's about budgeting, finding reliable contractors, or choosing materials, I'm open to any suggestions that can help make the process smoother.

We've done a fair bit of renovations on two different properties in two different regions of France.  Like Dave said, you'd need to give some more information for folks to offer helpful information.  What type of renovation?  Interior, exterior, both?  And to what degree; did you buy a pile of rocks which needs everything from the ground up?  Or are we talking updating work on a house that hasn't had anything updated since 1920 - so to speak?

Our first renovation was in the Vaucluse.  The second in the Dordogne.  The Vaucluse presented FAR FAR more problems than the Dordogne.  Things can vary wildly from one region to another.

I'd say finding capable, insured, reliable and available (in the not too distant future) contractors would be your biggest hurdle.  Get references.

Dave L has given the answer that I support. There are many members here who have great expertise and could give very useful advice. We assume you already have the property and so perhaps you could start with some photos which are always interesting and productive. It would also be helpful if we knew if this was a primary or secondary home.

lastly, at this stage, it would be advisable to respond to the suggestions in a timely manner so we can take it seriously.

• 2 weeks later...

I just stumbled upon your post and had to chime in—house renovations can be a wild ride! You've definitely got your work cut out for you, but it sounds like you're ready to roll up your sleeves and dive in. One tip I'd offer is to plan out your budget and timeline like there's no tomorrow. You'll thank yourself later when unexpected hiccups pop up.