A bit of a strange one this.

We get our TV and radio access via roof-mounted dish and SKY digibox.  Just over the last week or so we’ve been having problems getting BBC radio 1, 2, 3 & 4.  All other radio channels are unaffected, as is the tv.  It tells us that it’s not getting a satellite signal, yet you can get (for example) Classic FM.

This might continue for the whole day, or without having done anything, you can suddenly get what you’re after.  I’ve tried ‘re-booting’ the digibox and that sometimes works and sometimes it doesn’t.

There’s no logic to this.  Any clues anybody?

Then I suspect it's because they've closed the SD radio channels and you ( like me ) live on the edge of the footprint. FWIW I've just done a check & I'm currently not receiving BBC 6 Music, Radio 4 extra, & BBC World Service. Radio 2 is pretty glitchy as well.

Today is a good day as I've got a signal on BBC news.

No, generally just two of them.  R4 in the early morning for the Today programme and Mrs G usually switches to R2 for the rest of the day until there’s some TV that she might want.

So DL, that presumably means that there’s no solution to the problem?  It’s strange though, because it almost never works now first thing, but after a while it’ll be OK.  As you say, today seems like a ‘good day’ for some reason - R2 was accessible from mid morning.

Thanks very much anyway.

Well we're going through a period of solar flares which will interfere with satellite reception but only for short periods. Could the dish have been knocked slightly out of alignment by last weeks storm?

How old is your LNB? Perhaps it might be worth getting it replaced.

You have, I assume checked all your connections.

We listen to BBC radio off the internet, either cast to a Chromecast (audio) connected to some powered speakers or, if we are away, an Amazon fire stick connected to a TV (often you can turn the picture off and listen to the sound).  Might be a cheaper/interim measure till the satellite is fixed.

I’ve cut out most news bulletins and programmes as they just want to stir up rowdyism and not have decent debate. And I ignore most news in the papers except for stuff about Trump as I dream of seeing him in a prison jumpsuit with his head shaved and in chains. Fat chance!

The BBC is a mere shoddy shadow of itself.

• Haha 1