Almost the Best Time of the Year !

On our local market today - new season asparagus and gariguettes strawberries.

One bloke had some asparagus a week ago, but it looked a bit ‘stringy’ and most people were ignoring it.  He was back today, but it looked decidedly ‘moth-eaten’.  By contrast, another (always very reliable) trader had some bunches of ‘fines vertes’ for 7 euros.  Not cheap, but a nice size.  In the steamer for 10mins, loads of butter and shavings of Parmesan.  Nice bread to accompany of course.

The garriguettes were in the nearby supermarket.  To us, they’re pretty much the only strawbs that taste of anything.  Nothing to add or accompany .......... except a dollop of ice cream.

Happy days !!!

Can't wait for the asparagus, poached egg instead of the butter for me though. I'm fortunate in that wild strawberries grow in my woods. Tiny little things but packed with flavour. You can always try improving shop bought strawberries with a grinding of pepper.

You’re down this neck of the woods, are you not DL ?

Surprised that you haven’t seen any decent asparagus yet.  We knew that there’d be some today simply because I’ve seen them cutting the sprigs in the local fields during the week.

Anyway, it won’t be long before there’s plenty and the price drops.

BTW, I certainly wouldn’t disagree over the poached egg.  Problem is getting enough really fresh eggs.

The lady who ‘does’ for us around the house brings fresh eggs, but I usually consume them almost as soon as received. So this week’s delivery of 4 had been consumed within 2 days!

45 minutes ago, Gardian said:

Surprised that you haven’t seen any decent asparagus yet

Haven't had a chance to get to the markets this week. The Mairie are installing new water meters at the road edge. Unfortunately information on where the actual pipe runs has been lost in the mists of time so we've have two weeks of digger man putting holes anywhere and everywhere. Most of this week I couldn't even get out of my front gate. With luck things should be back to normal next week so I'll be on the lookout for some asparagus.

Sounds expensive and if there's one thing our Mairie hates doing it's spending money. And besides, our local handyman doesn't get the chance to play with diggers very often.😀

Still mustn't hijack the thread ( Sorry Guardian )

For us its the "Pomme de terre Noirmoutier".  Gently boiled in their skins then rolled in butter, a little salt and just eaten.  The joy of sinking your teeth into the skin which resists then gives to release the unique potato flavour.  We just eat them on their own. 

A kilo between two seems a lot then suddenly they are all gone!!

• Like 1