Péter les Plombs

Lehaut

Switched the oven on, started the Sunday roast, film ready for the big screen, whisky  poured for my once a week apéro and bang!  everything plunged into darkness.  Dash to the fuse board to get the projector fan back on and began searching the flat for signs of electrical trouble.

Eventually determined the heating element in the oven had short circuited after only 15 mins of use.  Second time it has done this (repaired first time under guarantee).  Left with a barely warm chicken, un roasted potatoes , carrots and cauliflower to sort out!  

Looks like the ingredients for a chicken casserole, cooked in a large covered pan on a top ring. Lots of chopping to get the chicken in smaller chunks. Watch the film while you wait and have another whiskey. 
 What did you do? Today you must fix the oven.

Edited by Hectorsdad

6 minutes ago, Lehaut said:

Switched the oven on, started the Sunday roast, film ready for the big screen, whisky  poured for my once a week apéro and bang!  everything plunged into darkness.  Dash to the fuse board to get the projector fan back on and began searching the flat for signs of electrical trouble.

Eventually determined the heating element in the oven had short circuited after only 15 mins of use.  Second time it has done this (repaired first time under guarantee).  Left with a barely warm chicken, un roasted potatoes , carrots and cauliflower to sort out!  

They are very easy to repair yourself.

But, the oven should be on its on circuit. In theory (i am no electrician) only the oven should have tripped.

23 hours ago, Hectorsdad said:

What did you do? Today you must fix the oven.

Its the second time a heating element has burnt out in the same over in 6 years (Ikea Oven) so I put it on Leboncoin for 10€ spares or repair.  No takers yet.  Have ordered a more up market make, so have that to install which is only a 5 min job.

23 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

the oven should be on its on circuit. In theory (i am no electrician) only the oven should have tripped.

It is on a separate circuit on the fuse board.  All I can surmise is the earth leakage detector on the main breaker is very sensitive (500ma) more so than the MCB on the fuse board (age unknown but flat built in late 80s).   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lehaut said:

It is on a separate circuit on the fuse board.  All I can surmise is the earth leakage detector on the main breaker is very sensitive (500ma) more so than the MCB on the fuse board (age unknown but flat built in late 80s).   

I have given up on ovens.

We have a so so upmarket countertop grill oven. 300 euros maybe. It is truly fantastic…and makes the crappy 1000 euro electrolux oven look rubbish. Which is still broken.

I just want twisty knobs….I don’t neeed a setting for every recipe. Heat is heat. 

That brings me onto washing machines. Our washing machine has loads of different cycles. We just use ‘express 30 mins’ for everything.

Edited by alittlebitfrench
  • Like 1

Have to disagree with the counter top oven!  How do you get a roast dinner meal for several people in one of these?  A chicken would just about fill it, where is the room for the roasted veg, potatoes etc? (at least the ones I have seen are very small).   If  I need to do a pie or something small, we have a combination microwave/fan oven which takes a very short time to heat up and cooks/browns just fine.

The new oven has many bells and whistles and cooks up to 300°C which should please the pizza makers in the house.

As for the washing machine, have a Samsung bubble model which can take up to 2h30 do do a white wash.  It did signal the end of the programme with a rendition of "The Trout by Shubert".  That got stale very quickly so got deleted.  Also had the option to send you an email when the wash as finished - a hackers dream.

2 hours ago, Lehaut said:

Have to disagree with the counter top oven!  How do you get a roast dinner meal for several people in one of these?  A chicken would just about fill it, where is the room for the roasted veg, potatoes etc? (at least the ones I have seen are very small).   If  I need to do a pie or something small, we have a combination microwave/fan oven which takes a very short time to heat up and cooks/browns just fine.

The new oven has many bells and whistles and cooks up to 300°C which should please the pizza makers in the house.

As for the washing machine, have a Samsung bubble model which can take up to 2h30 do do a white wash.  It did signal the end of the programme with a rendition of "The Trout by Shubert".  That got stale very quickly so got deleted.  Also had the option to send you an email when the wash as finished - a hackers dream.

I get the new cooker….I mean if I can fix ours (it needs a new electronics card) I will still use it.

But….countertop grills are the best invention since a washing machine that sends you emails when your washing is done. Lol

Our little oven will do a chicken for 5.

I sauté potatoes. Never roast. So I don’t need that extra space.

You take your meat out and let it stand…..and then do your yorkshire puds.

I cant think what else goes in an oven with a big meal.

BTW…3000 degrees for a pizza is going to melt that glacier in Charmonix a lot quicker. Lol