How are owners of holiday homes viewed (and other questions :))

I have been considering for a long long time about buying a maison secondaire in France and I’m still doing lots of research on areas etc so have lots of questions unfortunately and would be really grateful for any info/advice.

We’d only be in France during school breaks (a week in Feb, April, October, January and then a month in the summer) but hoping to go for longer when kids are older and when we retire (about 7-10 years away / we’re Irish so no visa requirements/restrictions etc).

Just wondering how we’d be viewed by the locals in the town. I do speak French (a decent amount but definitely not fluent) and we would do our best to integrate where possible (but being there for such a limited time would mean that we can’t really join clubs etc). Do the French take well to ‘blow-ins’ like us especially given we wouldn’t be there most of the year? Would be always be viewed with sceptism or feel like we’re in a fishbowl always being watched and scrutinised? (I’ve read that some dislike holiday home owners because they push up the demand for houses and therefore the prices making it more expensive for locals to buy houses in the area).

We are looking for something u/80k in a town where there’s a train to connect to either Nantes or Bordeaux and public transport to the beach (even a few hours is fine as long as we can get to the coast at some stage). Currently looking at areas on the Angouleme/Bordeaux trainline etc and if anyone has any suggestions, they’d be really welcome :)). (I’m searching on bien-ici, se loger, logic-immo, trovit, le bon coin)

Also I reckon a holiday house prob costs a 1k a year in terms of taxes, house insurance (small 2/3 bed, terrasse or small garden) - would that be a reasonable estimation (still wondering pros of buying versus just airbnb/holiday rent a property)?

Thanks so much in advance for any guidance - it’s really appreciated.

Edel

The French and others have holiday homes all over France so it just accepted.

The only problem occurs in towns and cities that are short of accommodation. Rented or otherwise. 

Did you say your budget is 80 k ? Or have I read that wrong ?

Apart from a car parking space….you won’t buy anything for 80k worth living in.

Also, a holiday home is not the same thing as a retirement home. Two very different things.

• Like 1

Thanks ALBF.  Good to know that it's generally accepted - that's one concern down.   I know it is a low budget alright and perhaps not realistic.   Not so much a retirement home but somewhere we can spend more time after we retire (more than 4 weeks in the summer/1 week per school term).  Thanks a mill - really appreciate it.

I'll add to ALBF's comment about the budget.  I have never seen any property in the towns (or near them) the OP has mentioned at 80k€

Even in very rural areas, that would be a tough budget and, if found, would likely be a pile of rocks (figure of speech).

Have a look on the usual sites:  seloger, leboncoin, etc.   Also, be careful on any site if you see something that seems too good to be true.  These sites get hijacked often.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Edel said:

Thanks ALBF.  Good to know that it's generally accepted - that's one concern down.   I know it is a low budget alright and perhaps not realistic.   Not so much a retirement home but somewhere we can spend more time after we retire (more than 4 weeks in the summer/1 week per school term).  Thanks a mill - really appreciate it.

Put this another way. You invest 80 k in a property in France and I will guarantee you that you will  pay 3 x as much turning it into house you could possibly live in. Then you have the tax and all the rest every year to pay. So you are looking 250 k….plus yearly tax.

Lastly, you will never see that money again. There is no investment here.

Now, 80 k will pay for 20 years of 4k holidays to France. Or anywhere else.

Owning a property in France unless you live here is really not a good idea. IMHO.

Edited by alittlebitfrench
  • Like 1

ALBF, you know I totally agree with you on this one as we spoke about this recently, didn't we?

Don't forget, there are also maintenance costs.  Likely, because the property will not be lived in year round, insurance is going to be higher and house insurance has increased considerably in any case.

If you have a garden and/or swimming pool, you'd have to pay someone to look after those in your absence.

Should there be a freak weather event when you are not here, you might have to come over specially to sort it out.  These storms, floods, forest fires, whatever are not only increasingly common but could happen in unexpected locations.  The market town near us had a freak storm the summer before last, the first of such ferocity in living memory.  About 70 percent of all roofs were damaged.  I was on holiday with French friends and ALL of them from that town had to come home to sort out their insurance and repairs.

There are costs that you'd have to pay for year round even if you don't use the place much.  Taxe foncière for example, audio-visuel tax (radio and TV) and if, like us your, commune charges extra for rubbish collection, then that is based on number of people in the household.

Just rent a place for the holidays.  All maintenance taken care of, furniture ready posed to be used, swimming pool cleaned, garden made inviting for your enjoyment.  When you have chilled in the sun (yes, I know paradoxical!) you can pack up the minimal personal stuff you have brought and you go home.  You might have to pay a bit extra for the place to be cleaned when you leave but it beats having to clean up your own property, turn off the water, electrics etc, air the place and then shut everything up, put the cover on the pool, remove and dispose of all your rubbish and so on and on and on.

I know my Aussie neighbours take a minimum of 2 days to get their house and garden ready on arrival and another day to prepare everything necessary before they leave.

• Like 2

Those are really good points Menthe - especially the worry of anything happening to the house from storms etc when we are so far away.   You definitely make the case for the rental - it is easier and nicer so would prob be the better option alright.  Thanks a mill 

Other thing is, Edel, as I am sure you already know, France is full of wonderful places to visit, north to south, east to west.  If you rented, you could go to a different place every year and discover all the thousand and one wonders that make up France.

OTOH, if you do like some particular place a lot, there is nothing to stop you renting the same place again.  The owner will be delighted and might introduce you to people to meet and places to see.  You'd still get that feel of "belonging" that you have talked about.

And, if you don't like a place or a property, you shrug your shoulders French fashion and never to there again!

• Like 1