Was Brexit a disaster ?

alittlebitfrench

Had it not been for Covid, I think Brexit would have been shown up for the disaster that it was but the Pandemic threw everything into flux . Now there is a prevailing sense of disquiet. Politicians are distrusted on both sides of the channel, "mainstream media" is vilified worldwide. Brexit has become unimportant in the maelstrom of social unrest.

Was it a disaster, yes. But the world has moved on and has bigger battles to fight.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Before reading the article I would said unequivocally  yes.  The article made me less sure, though he probably picked the points that best supported his argument.

What you cannot gloss over though is the freedom of movement which, imo, is a bad thing to have lost.  Especially in the light of the UK "legal" immigration figures before and after Brexit - the very thing the smooth brains voted to get rid of with Brexit.

Net migration to Britain in 2015, the year before the Brexit referendum, was 329,000.

606,000 people came to Britain in the year ending December 2022.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/net-migration-uk-hits-record-606000-2022-2023-05-25/

I could go on about this for ages and bore everybody to death ........... so, I won’t !

’Freedom of Movement’ is the one thing though that irks me most.

It was a catastrophe wasn’t it though?   And brought about, first of all by Cameron ‘rolling over’ to the Tory right wing, and then failing to mount any kind of serious pro-remain campaign.  There wasn’t one.   Disastrous.  

• Thanks 1