Anyone lives near any of the stades for Rugby World Cup?

menthe

Gardian, you have summed it up well and you have expressed most of what I thought.

I don't think either England or SA plays a pretty game. I too don't much like SA as a team.  And what is all that rubbish about their traffic light system of codes for red, yellow and green to show the players what moves they should make?

As for their director of rugby, Rassie Erasmus, he is a loud-mouthed, unpleasant specimen.

On the England side, they did not have Marcus Smith and, but for Farrell, they would have lost by a greater margin.

Like you, I shall be rooting for the All Blacks

All the pleasure and excitement of this tournament now totally gone as far as I'm concerned.

The Mbonambi-Curry controversy is leaving a very bad taste.

Long time to wait but I hope the next World Cup will be able to make up for this one.

Well, that was quite a match, not elegant or beautiful and with little running rugby but did RSA deserve their win? I dunno. Undoubtedly they stifled the All Black backs and seemed to have something extra at the line outs. Did decisions by the refereeing ‘panel’ make a difference? Some of the decisions seemed very marginal to me; if a player grabs the ball and runs into an opponent how can that be a penalty or a card? And how can one be penalised if he falls accidentally backwards over the outstretched leg of another in a maul?

Time to review the rules methinks!

Couldn’t agree more WB.  This disciplinary committee business doesn’t sit well with most of us, although we understand and empathise with the intentions.  I’ve only seen a couple of instances of deliberate foul play in the whole tournament, neither of which received any kind of serious sanction.

Anyway, returning to yesterday evening.  I didn’t really enjoy the game, much like you.  It was what I meant about not being a fan of the Springbok style of play - effective, but boring.

Overall ?  South Africa were probably worthy winners and they came up against an All Black side which is in the process of re-building.  Opponents won’t be as fortunate another time.  England exceeded expectations, largely because of the generous draw - but that wasn’t their fault.

France were really unlucky IMO.  Nine times out of ten they’d have come through and beaten just about any other team to win the Tournament.  Best team there and had ‘peaked’ at the right time - sadly it’s doubtful that they’ll get a better chance.  Ireland are equally frustrating for their supporters - almost unbeatable for some time pre-RWC, but then it just somehow doesn’t quite work when it matters.  Too many stalwarts retiring now and re-building is never easy.

Oh well, back to run-of-the-mill TV (i.e. ghastly!) - think that I’ll retire to a monastery.  Problem is that they wouldn’t have me !