Anyone lives near any of the stades for Rugby World Cup?

menthe

Lehaut, is this (literally) up your street?😏

Are you a fan?  Whereabouts in Nantes is the Stade de Beaujoire?

Don't worry if you have zilch interest!  As you see, I am just trying to get a head of steam going for RWC....sneaky but it would be nice if some would come along to endlessly (and doubtless boringly for non-interesteds)  and dissect it all😄

Menthe sorry to disappoint, but I have no interest in sports what so ever!  The stade is to the North of Nantes as shown on this map - will be cycling past it today on our "Tour de Nantes".  

image.png.afb7d5b3a3ed90b7eb15536cf455784c.png

We cycle east alongside the Loire, then north west along the N644 cycle track past the Stade de la Beaujoire (as near to it as I have ever been) the back south along the Erdre river.  That is enough sport for me 🙂

Re the RWC, I’d normally be looking forward to this enormously, but for some reason I’m not.  It just seems like the wrong time of the year for it, which is a daft reason.

Anyway, my mood will hopefully improve as it gets underway.

My opinion, fwiw, is that England will be lucky to make it out of the group stage.  Yes, I’m a killjoy, but far too many of the players are ‘yesterday’s men’.  

Ireland are a really good side, but ultimate success will depend heavily on Sexton’s fitness which is far from certain.

The All Blacks are obvious front-runners, but seem to be in that ‘lull’ that every top team gets - this may not be their year.

I’d love France to win it and for obvious reasons you’d expect them to be there or thereabouts.  The loss of N’tamack through injury is serious.

The dark horses for me are South Africa.  Not the most attractive team to watch, but hard to beat.

Agree with most of what you have said and I am soooo happy you are here, Gardian, as I always enjoy your input about RWC.

Ntamack, yes, I was pretty devastated, I can tell you.

Pity France and All Blacks are playing the first pool game.  Should be the Final!

Have relatives coming over to Bordeaux next Sunday to watch Wales and Fiji; OH was offered a ticket but even he doesn't fancy it's worth the bother of going to Bordeaux! 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we’re halfway through the group stage and it seems to be mapping out as to which teams will come through.  The only group with question marks seems to be ‘C’, where any one of Australia, Fiji or Wales could fail to make it.  You’d say Australia wouldn’t you, but anything could happen.  Fiji were good yesterday, weren’t they?  Always good to see a hissed-off Aussie !

We (England) weren’t great, but good enough and improving.  

For me, the really impressive side has been the Springboks.  I know that Romania didn’t present much serious opposition, but SA looked very powerful and exciting in attack.  They’ll be a handful for anybody.

Why on earth did Galthié play Dupont in the second half? They were 55 nil at half time.  No need whatsoever for Dupont to be out there.  He should have been on the bench.

Galthié would never be forgiven if France doesn't at least make it half-way through this tournament.

All Blacks looking mighty dangerous again.  As for France, how will they perform with the loss of both Ntamack and Dupont?

Anyone else would like a 2-tier World Cup?  I do think it will make the matches more interesting, going by the cricket match scores after a top team plays against ...er....a lesser, deffo 2nd-tier one?

No real surprises this weekend and rather doubt that there’ll be any next weekend.

Portugal were superb vs Australia - v entertaining.  They were 10pts better than the scoreline.

Just one thing.  That Argentine bloke who gave the Chilean what amounted to a forearm (elbow) smash, should have been given an immediate red card IMO.  It was deliberate & foul play - always was a sending-off offence in the years that I’ve watched rugby at all levels.  Far more serious than all the accidental head clashes that we’ve been seeing.