Failing to clear brush on your property – increased fines approved.

https://actu.fr/planete/climat/obligation-de-dbroussaillage-contre-les-incendies-l-amende-en-hausse-tes-vous-concern_59615403.html

https://www.ecologie.gouv.fr/feux-foret-et-vegetation

This is going to be difficult to achieve for us due to the lie of the land and our many trees, anybody else in this situation?

The main fire risk around here is our new french neighbour who is renovating the longere next door and who insists on having family barbeques not too far away from a row of Lawson cypress on our land - they seem to be oblivious to the risk.

Trees are usually oblivious to risks unless someone tells them though I am told that they talk to each 0ther!🤪

Seriously though even up here in the PdeC there is high risk in times of secheresse and high temperatures. My neighbours land is utterly unmaintained and the mayor wont take any initiative even though the plot is full of old poutres and dried wood. Plus a load of old bottles and glass causes fires!

Yep, I've been battling with this for a few years. In order to completely comply I'd have to remove every bit of shade from around the house. I also have a two hundred year old oak which is under threat because of a neighbouring development. I have around 2 hectares of which perhaps 40% comes under the regulation. Currently I pay a team to come in once a year to clear the site. Up until now we've had a somewhat pragmatic mayor but he retired last year and we've yet to see how seriously the new guy will take the job. Unfortunately forest fires are a real issue around here so I suspect it's only a matter of time.

21 hours ago, DaveLister said:

...I also have a two hundred year old oak which is under threat because of a neighbouring development.

A bit off topic, but did you know that you can apply to have the oak listed, by having it included in the PLU?

"Le moyen le plus sûr pour protéger un arbre est de l’inscrire en tant qu’Espace Boisé Classé (EBC) dans le Plan Local d’Urbanisme (PLU). Dans ce cas, l’arbre ne peut pas être abattu sans autorisation (sauf s’il est dangereux). La législation a évolué au cours du temps. Le texte qui, à l’origine, permettait seulement de protéger une surface boisée, autorise aujourd’hui de protéger un parc, une haie, un alignement et même un arbre isolé. Article L130-1 du code de l’urbanisme.
L’article 123-1-5 du Code de l’urbanisme permet aussi de localiser, dans les PLU, des éléments de paysage à protéger et de définir des prescriptions de nature à assurer leurs préservations.
Pour qu’un arbre soit réellement protégé, il faut définir un périmètre de protection dont le rayon correspond à la hauteur de l’arbre adulte. Sans cette marge de protection, l’arbre peut être irrémédiablement altéré par la proximité de l’urbanisation."

Edited by betise
added text
  • Thanks 1

On 18/05/2023 at 13:55, anotherbanana said:

Trees are usually oblivious to risks unless someone tells them though I am told that they talk to each 0ther!🤪

Seriously though even up here in the PdeC there is high risk in times of secheresse and high temperatures. My neighbours land is utterly unmaintained and the mayor wont take any initiative even though the plot is full of old poutres and dried wood. Plus a load of old bottles and glass causes fires!

From the government website https://www.ecologie.gouv.fr/feux-foret-et-vegetation

It seems that maybe you as a neighbour have access to his land or he accepts the legal liability if there is a fire.

clearing brush.png