Impots, don't ya just love em

AnOther

I agree it's probably rubbish and I have no problem in going and getting a letter if I have to, I was interested in others opinions or experiences.

I may not be the norm but then neither am I unique and yes, I am, without a shadow of a doubt, French resident. The only addresses I have outside of France are for my Nationwide A/C, (simply as a convenience for replacement cards to be sent to) and my Sky subscription is at my daughters. I have no other property and spend at least 60% of my time in France so I'm probably more resident than a good number of retired Brits I know.

The Impots know nothing of E106's, be they workers or otherwise, why should they, it's nothing to do with them. Besides which the only difference between the two is the source which in my case is HMRC as opposed to DWP.

Thank you for the bizarre suggestion to declare my income as a military of service pension but I think I'll pass on it [:-))]

[quote user="ErnieY"]I agree it's probably rubbish and I have no problem in going and getting a letter if I have to, I was interested in others opinions or experiences.[/quote]

My experience is that I've never been asked for such a letter.

[quote user="ErnieY"]The Impots know nothing of E106's, be they workers or otherwise, why should they, it's nothing to do with them. [/quote]

Impots would know because you tell them on your tax form. This is from the forum Tax FAQs:

Finally, if your French healthcare cover is courtesy of an E-form, then you are exempt from social charges (contributions sociales) on your UK company and old age pensions.  So, on the 2047 section VIII  REVENUS DE SOURCE ÉTRANGÈRE SOUMIS EN FRANCE À L’IMPÔT SUR LE REVENU ET IMPOSABLES À LA CONTRIBUTION POUR LE REMBOURSEMENT DE LA DETTE SOCIALE (C.R.D.S.) - just write in 'Titulaire de formulaire E121 (or whichever E-form you have), donc je ne suis pas a la charge de l'assurance maladie' and leave the amount box blank.

"The Impots know nothing of E106's, be they workers or otherwise, why should they, it's nothing to do with them"  

Is that a statement of fact or a question?  Either way its wrong.  It may have slipped your notice that the financial and health care systems are linked and have been for sometime, the Impots know exactly how your healthcare is provided and who by.

The suggestion I made is not bizzare as the French word "revenus" which is part of the heading of the section that you should enter your income not to be taxed again  translates as revenues, no mention of pensions.

I'm afraid only Ernie has the information which will determine where his earnings should be taxed. He is working offshore, does that mean that he is still within UK territorial waters or any additional areas treated as being part of the UK such for tax purposes. If he is not , and isn't spending time in the UK, then it's probably down to the tax treaties between whichever country he is working in and France to decide the treatment of his earnings.

As Ron has said this is a pretty esoteric area of taxation, and I doubt if many front of house people in either the Impots or the Revenue are well versed in the proper treatment of such matters.

Doesn't Ernie's company offer guidance to it's employees in such matters?

[quote user="NormanH"]Nobody needs to go there...there is an efficient email system (turn around usually within 48 hours) provided that you address the correct department. As Ron says this isn't the Trésor, which is just the money collecting part of the system.

[/quote]

Hi,

You should be aware that there is an ongoing programme to merge the hotels des impots and the trésors publiques into "one-stop shops".

[quote user="NormanH"]Nobody needs to go there...there is an efficient email system (turn around usually within 48 hours)

[/quote]

Now NormanH, please sit down, cos this may be a shock...........not everyone has access to e mail, there are some who dont want it, some who dont understand and some who want it but cant get it. I realise this may be shocking news but believe me, its true.

[quote user="ErnieY"]The

Impots know nothing of E106's, be they workers or otherwise, why should

they, it's nothing to do with them.[/quote]That was a sweeping statement I agree and perhaps what I should have said is what does it matter in terms of the subject at hand - my 2008 tax declaration. It was not asked about or mentioned during my meeting with the Impots lady so didn't seem at all relevent to her interpretation of my case.

BJSLIV: I work in  the UK sector of the North Sea for a UK employer and there is no debate whatsoever where I pay my tax, it is UK - period.

The irony is that having done some sums even if I had received my salary net of tax then the maximum amount the French would be able to extract from me would equate to something less than 1/2 of what I have actually already paid in UK so if, as I believe to be the case under the dual tax treaty, I can offset that against anything they could demand of me, they actually stand to gain precisely zilch.

• 2 months later...
Just an update:

Received my demand from the Impots today, amount to pay €0.00

Both a satisfying vindication of my strategy to ignore the BS they were coming out with and file as I had the previous year plus a precedent for the future.

Impots, I do love em [:D]

• 1 year later...