Tax fonciere

Mr Coeur de Lion

The bill you get now is for 2010. It is for owners who own the property on the 1st of Jan of the year.

So if someone wanted to say pay by direct debit, then they would have to pay this bill when it comes and then the direct debit would start in January and be for 2011's bill, adjustments if the DD doesn't cover the amount due, for whicheveryear, are usually made in Nov and Dec.

I think you are mixing that up with the Taxe d'habitation.

Whenever I have bought a house I have paid a proportion of the foncier based on the percentage of the year I will have the house. ( a friendly arrangement overseen by the Notaire)

On the other hand the Taxe d'habitationis payable for the whole year by the person living there on the 1 st January, even if that person moves out on the 2nd.

Idun is quite correct. 

The liability for both property taxes arises on 1 January and the bills are payable by whoever occupies (TdH) and owns (TF) the property on that day, regardless of whether they sell it on at a later date. 

In the case of a subsequent sale involving a pro-rata agreement over the tax fonciere, the seller pays the tax bill as usual then recovers the agreed share from the buyer.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

Idun is quite correct. 

The liability for both property taxes arises on 1 January and the bills are payable by whoever occupies (TdH) and owns (TF) the property on that day, regardless of whether they sell it on at a later date. 

In the case of a subsequent sale involving a pro-rata agreement over the tax fonciere, the seller pays the tax bill as usual then recovers the agreed share from the buyer.

[/quote]

So I am also right.

I had not recieved my tax fonciere this year either. Went to the Tresor Public this morning, discovered it had been sent to UK address (again), under my maiden name (last used 39 years ago).

Tax paid, 'new' name and address entered in computer for third year running. "No guarantees it will work next year either madame".

So thanks for reminding me it needed doing.

Still puzzled why they use my maiden name, and why income tax and tax d'habitation arrive addressed correctly.

They could save a fortune by actually listening to people and entering the correct information on their computers. How much postage they must waste every year by sending to incorrect addresses.

It really is not rocket science.

I've decided to leave it and let them contact me if they want my money. Don't see why I should exert myself. They wouldn't for me.

Hi Richard, quite agree with you, but there is the 10% fine to consider. 

I just paid mine on-line because the office is closed  today (strike action).

Should you wish to do so, you need the ref numbers from your income tax bill, then the amount of Foncieres owing is shown on screen. (you need a RIB to pay it on-line. )

FYI: there is an extra five days grace if you pay on-line.  So you are in time. :)

That is the trick to it. Ignorance of your bill is not an excuse. And a search will tell you when bills are due and to be paid.

http://www.calcul-impots.com/calendrier-fiscal-2010,5.html

There you go all the payment dates for 2010.

Hi, I hopefully did the right things to pay my first TF bill online, perhaps someone can reassure me?  On the impots website I entered my personal and avis-specific data and it correctly located my bill.  I entered all my french bank account details to authorise the payment and clicked the go button.  I then received a confirmation email, but it had an attachment which I printed off, attached a R.I.B to, then posted it off to my bank in france.  I think it implied that the payment would then be drawn after 15th October, so any time now.  Does that sound right?  The proof of the pudding will be if and when it comes out of my account, but it seemed a bit of a cumbersome way of doing things (though not for France of course!).  

Well, I went down to the local tresor and told them I didn't receive this year's bill.

They told me they sent it early Sept, but I didn't receive it, nor did my tenants, so no idea what happened.

No fine or anything, simply printed out a copy for me and I paid on the spot.

Also sorted out monthly payments for next year, so from now on it should never be a problem again.