logging on is like wading through treacle

menthe

What is it about logging on here?

Always says that either my email or password is wrong.

After putting up with this nonsense, have now changed my password.  If this latest ploy doesn't work, will have to change my name yet again.

At this rate, it is going to look like I am a serial sufferer of identity crises.

Anyone else encountered this extremely annoying fault of the forum? 

I can't log on on my ipad, just see the posts, so when I am travelliing I just don;t post.  I did have a big problem and like you I had to change my id, so far so good, but it isn't an eay forum to get onto once things go wrong.  I sympathise.  😘

I normally use my iPad for this site and I can’t even remember using my phone, laptop or desktop. At some point a long time ago I must have agreed with my iPad to stay logged on. I know there is a degree of sloppy security doing this but I just choose the CF icon on my home page and it is ready to go with no perceptible delay.

Hectorsdad, I haven't responded because, of course, I got fed up of going through the tedium of logging on.

I do have an icon on my home page but nothing seems to work.  I have to continue to say that I had forgotten my password, go through to the email I use here and "reset" my password.  In fact, I don't use a different password each time, I merely put in the exact same one that had been rejected seconds ealier and that would be accepted.

Perhaps I shall sign on using a different identity.  I think I shall call myself Thistle or Nettle as I feel as prickly as those plants.

Is it possible that your computer, tablet or phone is automatically trying to logon using a stored, incorrect password? The symptoms certainly remind me of several similar problems I have experienced in the past on several different devices.

Your next step is to clear the stored password and store the correct one. Good luck!

Alas, although I think you are right, I have been unable to do anything effective.  Even tried signing on as a different user but the damn site seems to know every email address I have ever used.

Shame that despite its impeccable memory, it never has any recollection of my password?

I never have have a problem logging on. I'm not saying that out of any smug or superior attitude as my computer skills are rubbish. My view is that if I, and others, are logging on without any problems it isn't the fault of the site but is the fault of the device being used to log on or the fault of the user using the device!

Not entirely true Ken.  I have had problems in the past, and no, it is not my computer or me, I am pretty au fait with their workings, up to date with software etc etc .. the forum software has always been a bit dicey. And I,  like Menthe, have been on the forum for many years, and both of us have had problems signing in / getting on at some point, and had to change our IDs etc through no fault of our own, Menthe more than me, but she speask true. 

Edited by Judith

Have you tried using another browser? Or deleting the cache and cookies from the one that you do use. Perhaps there's a hang up from the older version of the website on your machine and it's causing your password not to be recognised. I seem to remember when they did the update a load of us ( me included ) lost our accounts.