It was Pink

St Nazaire has recently opened an exhibition to commemorate 80 years since Operation Chariot in WW2.  HMS Campbeltown rammed the gates of the dry dock there,  subsequently exploding and putting the  dock out of action for the rest of the war.

Most post war school boys grew up with the story, but what I did not know was that the destroyer was painted pink - Mountbatten Pink to be precise.  It was found to be an effective camouflage early morning and late evening.  Or perhaps an early bid by the RN to get ahead on the LQBTQ+ front?

Pink.jpg

Considering she was a pretty useless warship her final act put her on a pedestal; obtained under lease lend she was always, so it seemed, breaking down or damaging other ships. Then she was lent to the Dutch navy who sent her back quite quickly.

But the heroes who manned the ships in the St. Nazaire raid deserve immense praise for their courage.

The sub pens are still a daunting site at St. Nazaire.

Been there, looked all around the Forme Joubert and the old defences and cupolas, also the deck gun from the Cambeltown was on display at the place du Commando, it was dredged up in the 60' or 70's after being blown off the deck by the huge explosion which wrecked the dock gate.

https://www.saint-nazaire-tourisme.uk/offers/canon-du-campbeltown-saint-nazaire-en-2501079/

Been there, looked all around the Forme Joubert and the old defences and cupolas, also the deck gun from the Cambeltown was on display at the Place du Commando, it was dredged up in the 60' or 70's after being blown off the deck by the huge explosion which wrecked the dock gate.

https://www.saint-nazaire-tourisme.uk/offers/canon-du-campbeltown-saint-nazaire-en-2501079/

Painting ships, planes and even tanks pink as late as the 60s was fairly common. Even the Germans tried it during the war. The USA used up a lot of pink paint too! It really was down to Mountbatten though any evidence of how effective it was is purely anecdotal. The S.A.S. also tried painting some of their vehicles in the Oman war in the 60s. No record of how effective it was though!!! The Cambeltown raid was a huge success despite the colour scheme! St Nazaire was the only dry dock big enough to take the Tirpitz and other large ships which had haunted British tactics for a long time. The pens are still there and are quite incredible. A visit well worth doing if you are interested In in 2nd WW history.

Visited the submarine pens about thirty years ago. I don't know about now but but back then you could just stroll in and have a look around. I do recall that some work was being started into making parts of the pens commercial. there were also preparations for a concert, of all things.

Massively constructed and no wonder they couldn't be destroyed by air attack. The crews enjoyed their free Time in La Baule that's for sure!! A slight aside but as you enter La Baule there is a small, very small; plot where a, I think, a Wellington crew, are buried. So long ago I can't remember exactly but I was quite moved by how well it was kept and even that it was there! The pens, as you say, are worth a visit just to get a feel of the work involved, and the misery, of constructing them.