5 € Charge for withdrawal

pip24

Thought that I would draw a bit of cash out at Credit Agricole from my UK bank account  to take advantage of the exchange rate. THERE IS A CHARGE OF 5 EURO FOR THIS TRANCACTION warning came on the screen ! I've never had that one before . Its two years since we were last here and pre Brexit. Has this charge been applied because of Brexit or is it just Credit Agricole taking advantage. Does anyone know if there is a french bank that doesn't charge ?

The UK is no longer bound by EU directives and regulations upholding ‘equality of charges’, which means charges for payments in another state in euros with a bank card should be the same as for equivalent payments within the home state.

Before Brexit, for example, a UK bank that did not add a fixed fee for debit card transactions in the UK would not be able to do so in the EU.

The only rule the UK has retained from the EU laws is a requirement for ‘transparency’ over conversion charges.

The card i used at Credit Agricole was a UK Santander Zero debit mastercard. Usually no charges. I know from the past that Mastercards were not accepted in some supermarchés so next time we're out I will try a visa and see what happens. 

• 2 weeks later...

As we were stuck in the UK because if Covid, my husband transferred his state pension back to the UK, so now, on our first visit for 22 months, we are using my Caxton card, which I hadn’t used for a few years.

I transferred a good amount at a pleasing rate recently, covering both house taxes and most living costs for the several weeks we’ll be in France.