New to area - looking to meet people

Hi

We moved to France 3 months ago and are currently renting just outside St Jean D'Angely.  Fingers crossed we finalise things on our own house on Saturday and then move end of Feb when it's had a lick of paint!  Anyway we are looking to meet new people from all around the area as our two boys, 7 and 5 are always happy to have new play mates!  If anybody  would like to meet up or drop us a line please do.

Deb

Dept 17

Hi

Thanks for your posting - you sound nice and settled!  Although it's only been 3 months I do feel already it's the best thing we ever did, even though there have been a few hard days with tears at the school gate!  Getting into our own house will certainly help and we can then feel part of that community and get to know some neighbours and possibly improve our French!

Deb

Hi

We have been in France for 3.5 years with our 7 year old son who is of course very settled at school now but I remember those days of tears at the gate, hard to take.  I'm not sure where you are, I will need to check a map but would love to meet up sometime, our son misses his english friends and it's important to keep up his english as he already forgets the odd word.  We will be moving soon to the Charente border, I will pm you later when we are settled and maybe we could get together.

Hi

Thanks for your posting - where on the Charente border are you moving to?  Comforting to know that children bounce back and settle in AND learn the language at an alarming rate! You go through a period of feeling like the worlds worst parent for up-rooting them from everything and everyone they knew in school there, but we consider it well worth it in the long run.  We are moving  at the end of Feb when the house has had a lick of paint and tidy up.    Travelling isn't a problem to us to meet people - roads are very easy to drive on!

Deb

Hi Deb.

I've just had a quick look in the telephone directory and there are a few English names there.

I'm sure you will come across them when you move as it is a very tiny place, Asnieres, and maybe your contact with other English people will grow from there.[:D]

I  used to think it was daft seeking out other English speakers, but for those of you with young children whose English Language skills you want to maintain and develop, I now think it's a very good idea.

The phone book really is a good place to start as it's divided into villages.  Some Brits near us invited everybody with an English name to a party and have made some good friends that way.  Also, every French person I meet round here says, almost immediately, "Oh, do you know les Anglais who live at....?  and so on!  By the end of a couple of months you'll be itching to get to know more French people!

Enjoy your French life.

Hi

Thank you all - we shall have to get a phone book!  We are more than happy to meet as many French people as we can too - just that the language is not up to it at the moment!  Fingers crossed that will all come with time.

[quote user="bloodyestateagent"]
Most people who move here are older - well past the child bearing age!
[/quote]

LOL I was well within child bearing age. Still resisting the temptation....[:-))]

Edit: I've been resisting it for more than a quarter of a century. I've got very good at it and am not about to falter.[:D]

[quote user="cossie"]Thanks - feels great to finally own a house again!  Felt a bit in limbo whilst renting as you can't really call it home - onwards and upwards though - paint brushes at the ready!!
[/quote]

I know excactly what you mean about being in Limbo - while renting.  Please feel free to bring your paint brushes around to ours, when we get the keys, in February - we won't be too far from you!!  [:D]

p.s. Like Tresco, I'm also of child bearing age - but have resisted & intend to continue!!

Most people who move here are older - well past the child bearing age!

LOL

errm............................................really old then........................... and on the scrap heap![:)]

............................just remember that with old age come a wealth of life experience........

if I had known then what I know now etc.[8-|]
http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/848428/ShowPost.aspx#848428

edit: I have just read this on another post