Changing euros into sterling

mogs

I hope I've posted in the correct place, please forgive me if not.

My daughter is going to the UK with her school next week and we was wondering how to change money from euros into sterling, ie. can it be done through a French bank, La Poste or somewhere else?

Many thanks for help

[quote user="NormanH"]Our local airport has flights from the UK, Sweden Norway and sometimes Denmark, all countries outside the euro-zone, yet there is no way of changing cash in the town.
Even the Banque de France sends us to Montpellier..
[/quote]

The Banque de France stopped doing this when the euro came in and it is a shame. The Banque de France sent us to La Poste, which is what I suggested in the first place.

As I said, No banks do it in my town, not even the Banque de France.

If I asked at LaPoste (after queuing up 40+ minutes) they would look at me blankly.

It has to be the only organisation in France to rival FT (now Orange) in its capacity to raise the blood pressure by sheer bloody-minded incompetence

Credit Agricole will order the Sterling in for you, but I think they need quite a bit of notice from what I can remember. When I spoke with Brit-line, they said they can order it into my branch for me but I think it was 10 days, but it may be less, I know I didn't have enough time before I went to the UK.

I would try and ask the college or other parent what they are doing.

TBH I don't think it's unreasonable for French banks not to hold foreign currency, they too will be at the mercy of the exchange rate.

We are used to UK banks and other institutions holding Euros and maybe USD because there is always a demand for them but in France you can never know which particular currency any customer might want , or how much, so buying it in on demand is the only practical solution.

Thanks ANO I did receive your PM, I haven't replied because we have found a solution, but thanks again for your offer.

We've decided to give daughter an English bank card so she can go and draw the cash out, as it happens I am in the UK myself from Friday so will be able to change euros into sterling, then can pay it into the bank for her to withdraw it.

I've asked her what others are doing, but so far she doesn't know, lucky for her she has a solution.

[quote user="WendyG"]Always find things like that difficult in France - Post Office, any Bank etc in UK will happily change euros to sterling.[/quote]But that's the other way round.  In order to do that, they don't have to keep a stock of foreign currency; they only have to be willing to buy it.

[quote user="AnOther"]Glad you're sorted.[quote user="mogs"]lucky for her she has a solution.[/quote]And an opportunity to provide here fellow travellers with £'s - and a rate advantageous to all.

Good to get the entrepreneurial spirit going at a young age.[/quote]

But you are depriving bankers of their hard-earned income!  How can you bear to do that?

At the tunnel (and I daresay other points of departure also) there is a Travelux office which will change money.  It's not the cheapest way to do it but it works.

Many shops at the UK ports take Euros (as do some big chain stores - M&S for one.)  I guess most people now have plastic which they just bung in a machine on arrival in Britain and elsewhere thus it's no longer a service which many want, unfortunately.