Which tax office to send forms to?

Judith

This is maybe a daft question - but - can you send your form back to any tax office - or the one of the front of the form?

We live nearer the tax office in the next dept than our own, and before now have been know to put the forms in the box outside the office so to be sure they get there (we don't entirely trust the post office!!!).

So does it matter which office the tax forms go back to?

I doubt that anybody will be able to give you a definitive reply Judith.

It probably doesn't matter much - your tax return will eventually get dealt with by somebody somewhere.

If it was me though, I'd send it back to the office on the form. The postal service does work - I can't think of anything that's ever got lost in the post be it here or in the UK. 

If the post office really worries you Judith, then send it recorded (with proof of receipt).  Still cheaper than driving miles, given the cost of fuel at the mo'!  I'd certainly always stick to my own department, although these days much is being centralised regionally so it would matter rather less than in the old days, I suspect.

Or submit on line?

Thanks both.  It's now gone in the ordinary post. 

Why I wondered about posting is that I often go shopping to Narbonne, and I do know where the tax office is there (and they do have a box to put declarations  in) but it's in our "old" department, and I've never been to where the tax office is in our (new) dept, which is indeed a long way away.  We are very much in one little corner - the next village is 20 meters away (yes I mean that) and is in the "other" dept as are many villages around us, even in the same community of communes, and you cross the departmental boundary a lot of times in a very short drive!

I did submit online last year, as I forgot something on the form I posted - but as we have quite a lot of foreign bank accounts it seems to take for ages, and you have to type each one in individually!

My guess is that if a form was posted into the wrong department, it would find it's way to the correct place eventually, but I decided not to risk it this time!

I think you were wise to send it to the issuing office.

It doesn't apply to me personally as I declare online, but I was away for the last two days helping a couple of English people in countryside with their returns , so I was at the Office at St Pons for one lot, but in Béziers for another. The officials I saw in St Pons were very helpful with a chap who hadn't declared for 3 years, but perhaps that was my bumbling charm [8-)]

I did get the impression that they preferred to deal with it in that office as it is the one he should be 'attached' to..

On the other hand I can't agree with Gardian that "The postal service does work - I can't think of anything that's ever got lost in the post be it here or in the UK. "

As I have posted before I have had some very serious losses of important mail that hadn't been sent by recorded delivery.

Thanks NormanH,

Yes, I too remembered your saga of lost post, and whilst I think we get most of our post, I  have had the odd t hing not arrive, and I do find that when bank holidays happen in France they do mess things up, and we get mounds of post one day, and none the next.  It being a bank holiday weekend (again!) I had some concerns.

In fact, it is the St Pons office I had to send it to - so nice to know they are good if you do need to visit.  Each time I do the forms I get better at it - so maybe one year it will be a doddle, but knowing my luck - that will never happen!  Because of our location we are nearer the big cities in 11 than 34, so tend to use them in preference - and I avoid Beziers like the plague if I possibly can !

[quote user="NormanH"]On the other hand I can't agree with Gardian that "The postal service does work - I can't think of anything that's ever got lost in the post be it here or in the UK. "
As I have posted before I have had some very serious losses of important mail that hadn't been sent by recorded delivery.

[/quote]

You can only speak as you find and I entirely accept your experiences Norman.

For me, invoices, bank statements etc always turn up. Our sons' birthday cards from the UK to their Mother arrived in two days (they had taken it up to the wire!).

I just received (25/5) something from HMRC though - a letter dated 30th April, which was postmarked 'Southall'.  It seems that anything 'governmental' goes in to a Southall bucket and re-appears sometime considerable time later! Problem is that the letter often asks for a response within 30 days of the date of the letter. Just sent a snotty reply - 3wks or so to process a letter is ludicrous.

Anyway ............... this is thread drift, for which I apologise.[:D]