The temp has dropped now down to a modest 26 deg C and it has finally rained (proper rain) which we have not had since May (only about 5 days with about 30 mins a day). First evening I have not had to water my garden and the grass is green again today, it's amazing how it comes back so quickly

I am waiting for rain so that the grass starts growing in our horse paddocks again. Then I suppose they will turn into brown windsor soup as usual.

How is it that a slight sniff of rain turns the grass ( I hesitate to use the word lawn) round the house into a jungle?

I think we have all forgotten what spring was like round here, was it two or three months of rain? Ahhh.....

Glad to see you folks are so glad for some rain.

New house is approaching the finishing line. But I notice there are parts of the site which haven't seen human feet for many months. It was bad enough before the rain. Next visit I will need several machetes, a week's supply of rations, and some distress flares before I set off to find the boundaries again.

Hi

Well we've had lots of clouds, but not heavy rain (had some overnight in September, though).

The sun struggled through the clouds this afternoon.

I guess we are back to our 300+ annual days of sunshine.

I actually find it a bit boring. I get up with the sun and don't see a cloud for months on end.

Peter

You must have had rain today Peter, I,m only 40 mins away from you and we had rain all last night and on and off for most of the the day today.

And as a new doggy owner didn,t I enjoy that..white dog...no, long haired white dog. If I,ve dried and cleaned him 6/7 times today I,m not exagerating. There I was at 7am this morning, pouring down with rain thinking Oh No I,ve got to take the go out in this

Janey

I'm curious now Mpprh, how many seasons does it feel like you have down there.

And if it is 300 days of sunshine, then that does not appeal to me at all. I like the seasons, my favourite is this time of year, nights drawing in, even the rain and gales, the sun on changing leaves, I really do enjoy autumn in all it's glory.

And we had rain too. Too long since we had had some.

TU, maybe Peter's got a tumble-drier.  You don't notice the rain so much when your house isn't filled with damp washing!  

I notice the seasons here (nobody goes swimming in winter), but that's probably because we've been living in an unheatable house.  I do miss Autumn tho, too many evergreens round here, with few redeeming features apart from (I assume) that carbon dioxide thing they do.

Hmm

Well it rained at 07.00 this morning, and it is still cloudy.

But I don't remember it raining yesterday. It is very local. I got soaked on Sunday morning in Calvisson, but it was dry back here, say 10km away.

We do have seasons, even morning frosts sometimes.

The frosts come with clear skies, and the days can be quite warm. But it is a very short winter.

Spring seemed to be long this year, and autumn will be short.

We still have not eaten indoors since May, but it won't be long !

Peter

Bucketed down here this morning(7.30), got drenched taking the dog for his usual, sky is now BLACK, think we,re in for an almighty storm so better get off the computer. But it,s not cold, no need for coats or jackets even and can still eat outside like Peter. Even in winter we have long sunny days..lovely.

Janey

Peter, I think you have your own personal micro-climate!

It took me almost 2 hours to get from Lunel to Montpellier this morning, the weather was foul on the motorway - lightning, thunder, torrential rain, AND that b***dy km-long queue just to get off the motorway 

Luckily we know the back roads after that, or we'd still be sitting there,  but they were starting to flood.  Made it into Mop centre only 30 minutes late for my appt. 

It rained here too, everything's nicely soaked and dripping.

Sorry to say its another lovely day ,blue sky etc and yesterday afternoon promted a topless doze on the terrace...but, BUT, the evening drew in chilly and finally decided we needed a fire...albeit a small one,and forgot to roast the chestnuts! no rain  at all in 66130.

ps glad to be back....had a bug ,not us, the computer.

We have a mcroclimate here in 11360. Very little rain all year but when the sky's open up it lasts 24 hours +. The roads flood, washing the top soil away. Feeels all most tropical in nature. Still nice and warm here during the day but last night was the first time the temp dropped below 10c when i popped outside for my last cig at about 1am. Still no rain but a good amount of cloud passing over.

Has there really been no rain since May?  Goodness, I'm sold on your particular corner of France, I never realised it was that dry.  Nobody mentioned the glorious smell that comes off the ground after it rains for the first time in a long time, it's a shame it can't bottled. 

Janey, would love to hear more about the dog.  Drop me a line?

Margaret

[quote]Has there really been no rain since May? Goodness, I'm sold on your particular corner of France, I never realised it was that dry. Nobody mentioned the glorious smell that comes off the ground after...[/quote]

We had a few showers during the year that lasted about 15 to 30 minutes but never penitrated the ground so this last lot was rather welcomed. I to love the smell when it rains, I can actually smell it about 2 or 3 minutes before it arrives.

I ques we have a micro-climate as we live right at the foot of the Pyrenees about 50 metres from the pass on the D117 going south from Quillan. The clounds get 'stuck' either one side or another and it's fasinatinf watching them 'roll' over the top of the mountains sometimes. I often sit on my terrace first thing with a cup of 'rosy lea' just watching, beats sitting on the M25 anytime.

The weather has now started to change and it's quite cold first thing (8 deg this morning) and we have lit the fire twice now. But hey, watch the weather in the Uk on the TV, tornado's in sussex, rain everywhere and temps around 24 to 16 deg in the day. And lets be honest, 24 deg during the day in October, not bad is it really. The only thing now is the skiers are getting a bit twitchy as there is no sign of snow at all, still you can't have everything.

Just got back from over the border...Spain. On the drive there this morning it was breath taking,Canigou has its peak covered in snow, so there Quillie,it wont be long before you are fit tho bursting with 4x4s and Volvos heading for the piste......though the drive back was wet and low cloud so I don`t know if the snow has been washed away.