Mother always knows .

I liked the joke, I didn't take it as anything against gays.

OMG I feel a Platonic/Chomskyian moment coming on....... there's the ideal of The Joke (in this case the smart mama), and that's the deep structure, okay?   The gay aspect is merely its 2005 surface structure.   In the 1970s, it would have been about - shock horror - a nice young lady and a nice young man up to no good in flared trousers and loud shirts.  

No wot I mean?   The "stupid-person" joke is the deep structure, it stays the same, but the surface structure changes with time and culture - Irish, Belgian, Essex Girl, blonde.....

There.  How to ruin a good joke in one easy lesson - analyze it to death. 

Moderator hat ON

Firstly, Eleanor - SwissBarrys post was not censored by anyone but by the software, this glitch should be sorted when there is an upgrade or patch.

Everyone else - if you do not wish to receive emails or pms from anyone please go to your control panel and from the dropdown list select the 'ignore' option. This *should* work, but if it does not then please feel free to forward the offending email/message to one of the moderators.

Moderator hat OFF

Outcast & Opas,frankly IMHO if you think the joke was homophobic it says more about you than about the original poster - its about social attitudes, mothers and sons etc just as Tresco says.(and very amusing it was too)

[quote]Firstly,hew if like you posted many moons ago you are in fact a teacher,learn to use spell check oherwise what chance do the kids have. Swissy,would you like to make clear that outcast has never sent...[/quote]

Yes Outcast, I can confirm that you did not send me any e-mails or private messages.  I never said or implied that you did.  Those came from other sources. 

Well it was only a JOKE to start with. Amazing how a semi-innocent post with an attempt at light-heartedness can ignite the touch paper of so many members. Good work. Keep it up  8 out of 10.

Next joke appearing soon.

With thanks to my sponsor B&Q  who can get a boat around the world in 71 days and take 2 Months to deliver my kitchen from 15 Miles up the road.

Terry

Joh, nobody posting on the LF website is innocent, OK. In itself, this would have been a traitorous activity in the Scarlet Pimpernel's day. And those of us who follow the SE Forum know there are more 'agent provocateurs' to the square metre on our patch than on all the other LF forums put together. I do of course exclude exclude Quillie from this generalisation because he is a site Prefect and we must all continue to look up to him.

Ian S's question - whether the best description for Quillan is 'Perfect' or 'Prefect' is a good one.

How perfect is Quillan - actually? When I last looked, some serious cracks and blemishes were beginning to appear. Sad too are the signs of irreversible plumbing damage due to continuous and costly intake of liquid -especially effecting local banks. It must be said however, that Quillan continues to attract visitors, and though these are motivated largely by curiosity, they do spend money. Quillan, nothing if not a monument to the ravages of time, certainly needs it.

Is it easy to see how Quillan could be improved? Well, frankly, no. Most rational visitors have given up, quick to see that despite having a senior position in the Prefecture and notwithstanding valiant efforts to overcome nature, Quillan is destined eventually to be overrun by moles.