Lori,

I looked everywhere for the photos and no luck. The best I can think of is that I saw it when visiting my grandfather's grave in a US war cemetery near Verdun or when we were on holiday near Lake Annecy.  I thought that it might have been been designed by Corbusier, but apparently not. I am getting old and forgetful. Thanks for the suggestions. I will let you all know when I find the place.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Dimcwm,

I am a typical person who cringes when people are as rude as you are.  And what has being an archaeologist got to do with it?  Oh perhaps it's your way of saying push off I'm more intelligent than you because I can sit on my knees all day a wipe dirt away with a brush. 

I am also a typical house wife and I am pretty good at doing the same thing.

I am also very good a making cherry pie.

KKK,

If you were more interested in reading my post more carefully rather than being vituperative (or calling me names, which I thought was not allowed on this forum), you would see that I said because I worked in archaeology I was used to doing research. Besides, I was a supervisor, planner, photographer, surveyor, and researcher after digging for a couple of years. No dirty hands here from digging or doing housework.

My mother made very delicious cherry pies from sour cooking cherries in the US. Are yours made from sour or sweet cherries? As I don't have access to lots of free cherries, I make other fruit wines.

Well, well. I must say that if you think that KKK's post was vituperative you must either have a very low threshold of vituperation tolerance or else not know what the word means. My money is on the latter.

Your posts in this thread have been bad-tempered and unreasonable - you ask a ludicrous question in the wrong place, you are given friendly advice about how you might get an answer and then you just snarl back. Very nice.

After this performance, who would want to help you?

Dwm cwm,

If you are used to research why are you asking something completely irrelevent in the middle of a conversation about cherry jam?  It is the same as researching a cure for the common cold in a childrens pop up book.

Why then are you getting the hump when nobody answers you?

You really should start your own thread on this.  If people don't know they won't answer you don't take it personally.  Please give it a try because this little scuffle is getting silly now and I have nothing more to say on the issue.

Finally I make my cherry pies by popping a Mr Kiplings in the microwave and shaking up a compressed tin of squirty cream.  Yum yum and cheers[B]

BTW there is a fruit salad thread on the go, you might be lucky there!  (sorry couldn't resist that. I am being rude now)

While on the subject of cherries.... is there some secret for pitting

them to make a cherry pie???  Okay, stupid question, but do I

really have to pit each one by hand?  I just can't muster up the

desire to do that.  But, would love to make one and have WAY to

many cherries on hand.  I don't mind pitting for a clafouti as I

don't use all that many cherries, but for a nice deep dish pie, I would

have to pit a great deal more - looking for the easy way out...

As to the question of locating the odd housing build.  I did try a

few searches, but didn't come up with anything good.  Perhaps the

Tourist Office in Verdun could help.  Houses that look somewhat

like old deep sea diving helmets would have to stick in someone's mind.

Try the Post Bag forum.  Many folks check that section of the forum.

I did find one interesting site on French Architecture...  http://www.greatbuildings.com/places/france.html

Lori,

We have a garlic crusher that has a thing for removing olive seeds on it. I suppose it could also be used for cherries. It was made in France. We also have this very old thing that can be used for both olives and cherries. Like the building I am looking for, I can't find it at the moment.

I will try the Post Bag forum and look at the link. Thanks.

(Dick seems to be following me around, but I won't rise to the occasion.)

Time for lunch.

David

Garlic crusher type thing - I never thought of that.  Will have to

wear a large apron and use a big bowl as I can imagine the juice flying

everywhere (and wouldn't want to lose it), but it does sound very

do'able to me.  Still is one at a time, but sounds easier than

holding a knife and a cherry and cutting each one, etc., etc.

Lori,

It is a garlic crusher, but also has a thing for removing seeds from olives. Sort of a spike the goes through a hole to push the seed out. I don't know if I'd want to do thousands of cherries or olives though.

I found the other gadget, but my wife says it belonged to her father and it is so old that it almost looks home made and has no brand name on it. The base is made of wood and it has two parts for removing seeds: one for olives and one for cherries. I only keep it as an ornament.

David

Hi Lori,

I haven't got any cherry trees myself but my students talk a lot about preparing them for jam etc. and there is definitely a tool they use to take out the stone.  I think it is the same as the one to take out  olive stones.  It is still hard work, but much better than nothing (or should I say fingers and a knife!)   Happy cooking!!

Kind regards,

Elaine

Dwmcn - thanks so much for that.  The 7th one down looked like a

regular garlic press, but the 10th one down noted it has that special

thing for olive and cherry pitting.  Was cheap too.  I'm sure

I have seen those here in France, so I will look for one next time I am

out.  Great !  And don't throw out that old one you

have.  I'm sure they haven't changed over the years.

Tank you Laine.  Got your email too.

dwmcn - of course I've seen them in France, there is one in my kitchen !!  Good grief. 

I normally use my newer stainless steel garlic crusher and it doesn't

have the bit for the olives/cherries.  I faintly remembered having

another one.  I do.  Guess you guys know what I'll be doing

this weekend.  Hope it works like it is supposed to.  I do

feel a bit stupid not knowing what people used.

Just popped an apricot clafouti in the oven and am hovering over

homeade spaghetti bolognaise (haven't fixed that in ions).  I find

it is so much better if it simmers for the afternoon.

Cherry pies this weekend.

Thanks !

Christine - are you saying that if I simmer them in a big pot, the pits

will loosen up and float about??  Or do I have to poke them out of

the cherry?  It would be very simple to ladle them out.

I'm sure all you cooks out there are laughing hysterically at me.

Thanks dw, I figure I'll end up with red hands for a few days.  Just hope the pies turn out good.

I am no cherry expert, but I imagine they would loosen up and float about, like with plums.  But you may have to still poke a few out !   [:P]

Anyway it seems to have got David's mind off his building complexe, it doesn't seem to be in the post bag... and I did spend some time trying to find it with an amphitheatre, but nothing came up.  When do you think it was built David?