If there is anyone who miss's a nice bit of boiled, greasy chicken in funny tasting breadcrumbs and goes near the A61 turnoff at Carcassonne (near Tridome) a KFC has opened there. I might give it a try next time just to remind myself what I am missing.[;-)]

Having just driven to Dundee and back twice in the last month,one smell stays with me,that's the burnt fat smell when approaching the "Welcome Break's". How anyone actually eats the stuff I don't know,add to that the cardboard bucket of some strange brown liquid you see littering all the tables.No Thanks.

Nothing wrong with a bit of dirty bird once in a while. A friend of mine once likened kfc to a pair of old slippers - not the best in the world but at least you know what you're gonna get!

Haven't visited the one at Carcassonne yet but I've been a few times to the one in Narbonne which has been there for some time. No complaints and free wifi, which is handy sometimes......

I honestly really don't know how and why you eat that muck, JE! [:D]

However, here's a recipe which claims to duplicate the Colonel's secret spices. Here.

And I'm sure with diligent searching, you can find some nice cooking oil rich in transfatty acids to really emulate the essential flavours!

Probably helps if it has been used for a few months to cook dog meat and allowed to burn nicely here and there...........

I also remember driving through Torremolinas for the first time in a cab, some 30 years ago, one hot sticky July evening, en route for somewhere rather nicer.

And the greasy fat smell, wafting across the road into the car from the oodles of "English" bars and burger palaces was totally foul: when considering the fantastic Andalusian eateries just a couple of Ks into the hills it was absolute insanity.

Each to his and her own I guess.

[quote user="Gluestick"]

And I'm sure with diligent searching, you can find some nice cooking oil rich in transfatty acids to really emulate the essential flavours!

[/quote]

Gluey, KFC have stopped using transfats since around 18 months ago.

Bread and dripping.Now that brings back memories.The best bit was the jelly in the bottom of the bowl but my brothers nearly always beat me to it. They would spread the jelly +dripping from the bottom by tipping the bowl out onto a plate ,then put the dripping back in the bowl minus the jelly. Another habit my younger brother developed was to empty the very rare tin of fruit by opening the tin bottom and then putting it back in the larder ,empty, the right way up.My elder brother usually got the blame. Back to KFC. ther's one in Winton Bournemouth and you get a nice waft of the burnt fat from about 200 yards. How the clothes stores nearby put up with it I don't know as it stinks,also amazed that the local council haven't insisted on a better extraction system.I suppose part of my dislike of KFC goes back to the late 70's when a friend of mine managed one ,also in Winton. I seem to remember the chickens arrive whole and they portion them in situ on a bandsaw.They were supposed to get 9 portions from one chicken but he managed to get 11. Our little gang virtually lived on chicken/chips/coleslaw/beans for about 3 months. No wonder I've gone off them.

Now what I miss, JE, are the transport caffs we used to stop at in the wee small hours when driving long distance to race meetings.

Nothing to beat one of their full fry up breakfasts with a doorstep slice and a thick china half pint mug of tea!

All gone since the age of the M Ways and replaced by the utter tripe represented by such as Granada motorway "Services".

[quote user="Théière"][quote user="Gluestick"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Took 'em long enough!

Still, I'm sure they have found an equally fowl alternative![;-)]

[:)]

[quote user="Gluestick"][quote user="Théière"][quote user="Gluestick"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Took 'em long enough!

Still, I'm sure they have found an equally fowl alternative![;-)]

[:)]

[/quote]Have you ever actually eaten any, Gluey?

JE

I have eaten one Mickey D's burger back in 1978: at one of the first places in London: between Business meetings and when I was starving and in desperation.

And once ate part of a KFC allegedly chicken thing.

In the States I have eaten many proper burgers, in decent diners and places and for those who have not had the pleasure, believe me there is absolutely no comparison.

One place outside San Jose was a typical busy American diner: loads of big trucks and rep's mid-range sedans outside (The arbiter of good eats so I was informed and seemed to work): the bain maries full of various sauces went on forever........

Personally, I always seek out small Greek, Italian or similar trats when in large cities and major towns and have rarely been dissappointed.