Tax Spreadsheet

John Brown

Thanks Norman

On my paper version there is no 8TK because its a simpified pre part-completed version that was sent out to me ( by mistake I think )

I'll have to wait till after 1st May when the down-loadable version of a normal full form is available.

I must admit I did trawl the internet trying to find why my form was different.

And then I tried completing the Return on-line and got really spooked when it said twice that my figures don't add up, when I knew they did

Apparently the version I got was for someone still in work ( whatever that this, must be something I once did? )

John

Got it downloaded from the Dropbox link but the computer doesn't know what to do with an Open Office .ods file, Excel won't have it.

Converted it online to .xls and then it opens.

The perils of using niche non standard software [;-)]

Free instant online conversion here:

http://www.freefileconvert.com

One point, why is it showing Social Charges on the OAP, (B3), they are not applicable if you are on an S1 which presumably most will be ?

The Social charges are there because I do have to pay them.

Those who don't  can just ignore them of course.

I thought LibreOffice was the standard software nowadays? In any case it can handle both .ods and .xls....[6]

Thanks for doing that.   [B]Does it seem about right?

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the Spreadsheet

I lost some of the formula transfering it to Excel and with all the rain I've had time to fiddle with the spreadsheet restoring the lost data

Have a look at my attempt and see if you approve the changes !

I'll email to you ( edit, just tried, can't see how you do that )

John

John, as an interested party ie being a novice re pensions etc, I logged into my account to be able to 'see' your spreadsheet.

At the moment I am trying to understand why your savings interest should benefit from a 10% reduction.

Interest is not a pension, so why the 10% 'abattement' ?

Do you know something I don't ?

Sue

Great,

I've made the changes to the savings interest and the rate. It was using 5.5 but was rounded up in the cell to 2 decimal points to .6

If I include a line for WFA is it treated as a pension payment and does that get 10% off

Hopefully Parsnips can give it a once over and me a few ideas on how to develop this further so it can be better used

John

Ah I didn't see a line which limited the decote to those under 960 or to 878.

The grey area is whether the figure of 960 is the figure after the French credit has been deducted  or before it has.

Obviously if it is before the deduction far fewer people would benefit...

• 2 weeks later...

My tax office informed me that the decote is calculated BEFORE the deduction of the credit for government pensions (and presumably UK rental income).

Here's the text of the message I received:

Bonjour,

Le Royaume-Uni et la France ont signé une nouvelle convention relative à l'imposition des revenus acquis au Royaume –Uni.

A compter du 1er janvier 2010 la nouvelle convention du 19 juin 2008 est applicable.

L’article 24 de la nouvelle convention stipule que la double imposition sera évitée par l'imputation d'un crédit d'impôt et non plus selon la règle du taux effectif.

Le crédit d’impôt est égal au montant de l’impôt français correspondant à ces revenus à condition que le résident soit soumis à l’impôt du Royaume uni à raison de ces revenus.

Vos impositions, avant imputation du crédit d’impôt mentionné ci dessus, étant supérieure à 878 € la décote ne s’applique plus.

Je me tiens à votre disposition pour tout renseignement complémentaire et vous prie d’agréer,Madame Monsieur, l’expression de ma considération distinguée.

xxx xxx 
Contrôleur des Finances Publiques
Service des Impôts des Particuliers

Yes that is what we were discussing with parsnips last year.

1) The fact that they don't apply the decote after the deduction but before, which he was trying to fight.

This changes the spreadsheet obviously.However I was sure that the amount was now 960, but perhaps they have gone back on the rise..

2) The fact that the system has changed which has yet again this year caused a lot of confusion here, not least because the Confusion  opps I mean the Correction paper has given wrong info bolstered by a meaningless article from Bevins Franks

Thanks Tinabee,

I'll make the changes to the spreadsheet regarding both person's ages to qualify for low income / age related allowances

The deduction of "Reasonable Transfer Charges"  is from an earlier tax return ( I think 2008 ) where then it asked for gross and nett income from your Government / Local Authority Pension and with the nett figure I was told by the local Tax Office to use the amount that landed in my French bank account and that allowed for transfer charges & fees.

I'll move the Decote to before the DDT reduction until the battle is won by Parsnips & others over that

I'll put the respective social charges under different headings

Then I'll have a cup of tea