Have been absent for but a little time due to IT and related problems.

However I seem to notice on this thread a lack of activity and names that I well-recognised in the past now missing?

Is that a true reflection and if so why?

Or in the alternative there perhaps is nothing of interest on this thread in general terms?

rdgs

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah.. The well-recognised names are all but forgotten, having shifted their alliegences to another place (which, when I last checked, was defunct).

And it is also "that time of year".

And we all are, truth be told, very boring (at least those who remain) .......

At least we are not Angl* *nfo.

Ah friendly names from the past. I certainly never found anyone boring.  Some to the point some polite some confrontational some a bit iffy but overall my experiences have been good.

Of course there were some who did not engage brain before using keyboard and if truth is known I was guilty once I think it was.

So easy this email to get up peoples noses!

rdgs

I was thinking the same thing myself.  The thread used to be so active when we first started  using it 6 years ago, but now it seems to go for days without anyone posting.  I wonder if it has anything to do with the demise of P&O and the high fares Brittany Ferries charge. We don't seem to be getting many newcomers to the area, and I guess those of us who have been here for a while have ironed out all the wrinkles! Even though I don't post much now, I still log on and check to see what is happening, helping out if I can.  Maybe the weather has contributed to things lately as well.  Never known a summer like it here - usually toasting myself on Utah Beach this time of year.  Not much fun going to vide greniers or brocantes either in the pouring rain. 

A lot of the former regulars on here now use another forum, which we find more to our tastes, we are treated by the admins as sensible adults, and our comments are more appreciated. It is certainly not defunct, as a previous contributor inferred.

[quote user="Will"]A lot of the former regulars on here now use another forum, which we find more to our tastes, we are treated by the admins as sensible adults, and our comments are more appreciated. It is certainly not defunct, as a previous contributor inferred.[/quote]

Maybe not defunct, just a little well hidden. The redirect goes in circles as far as I can see....

The difference between this place and that is the same as the difference between "comments" and "contributions". Gedditt?

we are treated by the admins as sensible adults

What? Sensible adults that give a stuff about what time I go to bed, or if wear curlers ? (I'm not telling [:D]) I could tell you that here!

Still, it has inspired me to launch a new association (not for profit):

For a small fee (to cover printing and postage only) I'm prepared to send applicants a Russethouse poster for them to throw darts at or stick pins in, order two and get a Quillan poster free. (Quillan posters are not available as a single item)

[:)][:)][:)]

Those that went all seem to pop back though, just to be annoying on some posts it would seem (woolywosit AKA Tag)!

RH, what about a list of when they are online on what posts they are adding drivel to, gives a chance to decide if we are in the right frame of mind to read it!

As far as I know it is not an option in this software and after having what time I look at what threads, posted as messages I really can't see any great attraction. In fact I think its positively unhealthy and not a little weird

Most LF members have the wit to avoid trouble makers posts, thank heavens.If in doubt, use the Report button.

Gay, I'm not saying that some of those involved actually behave like sensible adults - if you see what I mean. [:)]

I don't feel the need to read or post in every topic at any forum, certainly neither at the possum one nor here. Every forum has its share of stupid threads. There are enough daft ones here at present.

I might take you up on that offer; not that I would throw darts at your likeness... [Www] 

Not quite true.  Originally posted under another user name but something happened that meant we had to re-register and change user name.  Have posted quite frequently over the years, especially in the education forum, as we arrived with 3 teenagers, none of whom spoke French when we arrived.  Glad to say they all did well, despite the frequent moans and groans from others on that forum about bringing teenagers to live in France.  Was quiet for a time when OH accepted a job in Canada - posted on that too!  Now thankfully back in France and loving every minute.  Just glad we had the foresight to keep a house here when we went to Canada, so moving back was no problem. 

[quote user="powerdesal"]Ac50,

An active forum needs active posters, perhaps your 51 posts in approx 3 years is a contributory factor in the lack of activity.

[/quote]

Ha, really?

I have no idea what age anyone is on here or there or anywhere on the net, it's not that easy to tell. 

The reason I 'think' they might be in the bracket marked 'older' is the apparent insistence on going back over things again and again. 

My granddad and his friends constantly talk about times passed, do you remember when, what about the time.... on possum that appears to be the main focus of the majority of active threads.  Whatever the reason, too much time on their hands or stuck in a rut, it's off putting to new potential posters and a bit 'odd' (IMHO).

Panda