French Tax 2013

Lehaut

I believe that now Social Charges and Impôt appear under the same heading on the .impots.gouv.fr site

We got an email from them this morning which when we checked our account says

"Premier acompte provisionnel à régler avant le 15/02/2014" followed by a figure in Euros.

There are no outstanding payments due for 2012.

We have only ever paid our CSGs in the previous years as a lump sum. We have not asked to change this.

Have they now changed the system and we missed it, or have I failed to tick a box?

Thanks

Our French income tax (after the first year) was always charged in three lumps:

1st payment on account (calculation based on previous year's revenue declaration)

2nd payment on account (calculation based on previous year's revenue declaration)

Final, balancing payment (calculated after receipt of the tax return)

Last year the balancing payment included CSG/CRDS

This year the 1st and 2nd payments on account are based on the income tax plus CSG/CRDS and so is higher.

Thanks for the quick reply. We don't pay tax here, just CSG which is based on rent and interest paid on our UK accounts, money we don't necessarily have the guarantee we will receive. Should we not receive this income, we will then have to reclaim restrospectively the overpayment. Plus we now lose the interest we gained by keeping this money in an interest bearing account till end of September!!

Crafty.

[quote user="Lehaut"]Should we not receive this income, we will then have to reclaim restrospectively the overpayment. [/quote]

The final payment is usually adjusted to take account of any change of circumstances. OH and I have received a refund, rather than made the final payment, following a drop in income declared on the tax form. It does work out.

[quote user="Lehaut"]

Plus we now lose the interest we gained by keeping this money in an interest bearing account till end of September!!

Crafty.[/quote]

Totally agree; Hollande, or one of his minions, did say they would recoup taxes wherever they could - this seems to be their chosen method.

Sue

Thanks suein56 for a slight ray of sunshine on this, envisaged the usual battle to reclaim what is due should we (hopefully not) end up out of pocket.

Had a couple of hours in the Bank this week as, unusually, the interest rates on some products here are now better than the UK. The managers view was that if the Government drop savings rates anymore, no-one would save anything.

You can unilaterly adjust the acompte if you wish, just by adjusting the payment. But if you are shown eventually to have under estimated by, i think, more than 10% you will pay penaltlies for effective late payment. You can also increase the acompte if you wish for whatever reason. The Fisc will be most grateful.

JFB

We too received by email this morning an Avis for one third of the tax bill we had last year. No problems really, except that this is the first time in five years that we will not have paid in one lump after doing the tax return, and we were not expecting to have to come up with this lump sum in February.

What has triggered it now? Is it a change in the way the taxes are collected, or did my new British state pension tip us over into a new tax band, do you think?

I assume that we don't have the option to say, "we'll pay it all in October if you don't mind"!

Kathy

I would guess that the fact that CSG/CRDS is now collected with income tax has triggered this change. For income tax, if your bill was over a certain amount then you were required to pay in 3 installments. Now that CSG/CRDS is included on the same bill, this has taken many people over the threshold meaning that more people will pay sooner and in installments.

Bobdude, you have missed the point a bit. We used to pay it towards the end of the year in a lump sum thus getting interest on the money. This option has been taken away and, if the interest on a UK account is paid on a yearly basis, paying monthly could result in paying out money you have not yet earned.

We are not talking lots here, more the principle of, yet again, the government screwing the prudent.

[quote user="Lehaut"]Bobdude, you have missed the point a bit. We used to pay it towards the end of the year in a lump sum thus getting interest on the money. This option has been taken away and, if the interest on a UK account is paid on a yearly basis, paying monthly could result in paying out money you have not yet earned.

We are not talking lots here, more the principle of, yet again, the government screwing the prudent.[/quote]

Hmmmm ... I'm not sure about the timing issue there: the payment of which I have just received notice is for my eventual tax bill against my 2013 income, and the level of that was estimated by simply carrying over the same numbers for income that I declared in 2012. By definition, I have already received my income for 2013 ... especially as the French tax system concerns itself with when income is paid rather than when it was due (UK system). Therefore, the payment that I will shortly make is in respect of 2013 income and not money that I haven't yet had. Or am I missing something?

Pickles I do believe you are on the ball, I am out by a year!

Only half my post is correct, we set aside each month enough to pay at the end of the year for our rental income, this we will now have to use earlier than before. The UK income we have already had for last year.

Makes me only half as mad at their recovery methods;-(

[quote user="Lehaut"].

Makes me only half as mad at their recovery methods;-([/quote]

With regards to CSG perhaps it is better for the state to reap in their rewards earlier than we have been used to than for the Government to raise the rate of CSG higher than the present 15.5%.

Rock v hard place comes to mind.

Sue

But aren't we paying on account for earnings during 2013? Then again, we don't have any savings to worry about paltry amounts of interest the banks seem to pay nowadays! [:)] Admittedly, this is the first time they have done it like this, and like everyone else, we knew nothing of it in advance, so it came as a big surprise. I merely thought it might help others to know that they have the option of monthly instalments, rather than having to find a larger amount to pay the three instalments of one third.