English food products

You can order from one of the several on-line shops.  They are usually here in France and they post your order to you.  I believe there are some address's in the Post Useful Links section.  If you can't find one, let me know and I will give you a link.

We don't have that problem up here now as every market seems to have an English food stall.

I've stocked up on marmite and gravy granules, as I gather they are hard to get hold of, but other than that I'm looking forward to eating more french food - and hoping the renovation work will offset the effect on my diet!

Anyone know what the tea situation is like? The OH likes his cuppa

I am not a tea drinker but from earlier posts, I get the impression that the tea drinkers aren't that happy with the tea here.

There are a lot of British home owners around here and more and more supermarkets are stocking UK products.  The Super U at St Meen le Grand has a section for British food.  Salad cream, brown sauce, marmite, beans etc.  Must be all of one metre....!

Like I said before, you can order on line. 

Most supermarkets now stock some english food, alot more than 3 years ago but it is at inflated prices. People living here fulltime either tend to go back to the UK to visit family and stock up then or friends have family over that bring things back etc etc,

We tend to stock up on gravy granuales, marmite for a friend, uk bread flour, golden syrup, dark brown sugar, mincemeat, suet, baking powder, nutmeg, mixed spice and tea bags. But then we do like to cook alot.

I notice an English stall in our local market, but am not even tempted to go and buy (love French food too much and have a stock of Irish tea-bags which is the only thing I need) but I did notice when passing that there were an awful lot of Hob-nobs biscuits! It either means that the English community love their Hobnobs, or that they don't (!) and that the vendors can' t get rid!

How odd, Me0Wp000, that you bring English bread flour to France. My wife swears by the French stuff, and even brings home French flours for making Yorkshires at home!

I have to agree about tea bags and gravy granules though, and my kids prefer the spices from England for adding to barbecue meat, to any we've found in France.

Alcazar

Having a campsite we are lucky enough to have lots of UK visitors who can bring over stuff for us our normal needs are:=

Atora Suet

Marmite

Strong bread flour

Kingsmill sliced loaves( for the freezer, makes the best toast)

Tetley tea bags (But we have enough for nearly a year now) having cornered the central France market in same.

Birds Custard (Creme Anglais is too runny and too sweet)

Germolene

When I think of the others, I'll post them.

www.leschenauds.com

Hi

Obviously, the further you are from the channel, the more difficult it is. We are 1000 kms from Calais, so it used to be difficult.

But now many more UK (and European) items are available in French supermarkets.

Some come & go. Others are more expensive, or in very small sizes only, so become items for special occasions instead of everyday fare (sp?).

And there are lots of new things to discover, which you may actually prefer !

In our area, a scour of Carrefour, Geant, Auchan, Intermarche, Hyper U, Netto, DIY shops & Lidl will reveal the following and many more to be available :

Heinz tomato ketchup

Dulux paint

Mistress

Marmite

English bread

Digestive biscuits

Ginger biscuits

Birds custard powder

Typhoo / PG tips

Tiptree marmalade

Sarsons malt vinegar

Branston pickle (a little scarce at present !)

Heinz baked beans

Heinz tomato soup

HP sauce

Carrs water biscuits

Indian spices

Crumpets

Heinz Sandwich spread

We don't have many things we ask visitors to bring out. Recent items were Baby Bio (Mrs mpprh you understand !), malt vinegar (larger pack size), pork pies, and bacon.

Smoked & cured English best back bacon used to be available from Carrefour & Champion. It stopped with foot & mouth & I've never found it again.

At the moment we can't find Sugar Puffs, twiglets, Alpen original which used to be available.

And you can buy most missing items at a price between UK and French supermarkets at Best of British. If you don't have a shop nearby, their internet shopping site is at www.bestofbritish.fr. They charge a flat Euro 6 for delivery, regardless of quantity.

And coastal areas of Spain tend to have a better range at lower prices. Whilst there it is worth buying cigs, fuel, Rioja, meat, etc.

Peter

[quote]Hi Obviously, the further you are from the channel, the more difficult it is. We are 1000 kms from Calais, so it used to be difficult. But now many more UK (and European) items are available in French...[/quote]

Branston was scarce in the UK too - due to a fire at the Crosse and Blackwell factory

Dick, don't cook with germolene use it raw, put it on the both of the dogs cuts and bites where it only stays for a few minutes before it is licked off = they seem to like the taste.

Other preferred items include:

Ready Brek

Rice Crispies

Used to ask for Indian and chinese spices etc but now buy them for a brilliant oriental spice shop in Limoges.

Dick, don't cook with germolene use it raw, put it on the both of the dogs cuts and bites where it only stays for a few minutes before it is licked off = they seem to like the taste.

Other preferred items include:

Ready Brek

Rice Crispies

Used to ask for Indian and chinese spices etc but now buy them for a brilliant oriental spice shop in Limoges.

Germolene, used to have to use toothpaste that tasted like that when I was a kid. It came in a block in a tin and you had to wet your toothbrush and rub it on the block to get some on you brush....... how hygenic, I hated it, we never had a dog then, so have no idea if it would have gone down better with a four footed friend.

Sorry, did someone say that they actually missed industrial waste - sorry malt vinegar, not even real vinegar as that has to be made from wine or other alcohol. Yucky yucky yuck.

I made a decision, apart from painkilling tablets which are so much cheaper I don't need anything from the UK as I hate withdrawal symptoms - eat a food you miss and you want more and more and more.

I looked at your lists and I don't think I buy any of them. We even have a large store of good robust porridge oats thanks to the nice people who bring us bags. We do eat it but not every day as we used to. It is a treat, and as we all know, a treat is something you eat on occasion. We have even stopped eating Bon Maman jam as we don't each much jam now (we live fairly near the French Jam Capital of Europe and we used to live near the British Jam Capital of Europe).

If I can have a jar of marmite in the cupboard and not even think of spreading it on toast I must really have lost my taste for things British.

>>It came in a block in a tin and you had to wet your toothbrush and rub it on the block to get some on you brush....... <<<

Looked for this last time you mentioned it, couldn't find the powder but now use the paste equivilent every day - Euthymol I love it !!

BTW TU, 2000 + posts - Congratulations