Adding Bathroom

rico

Friends who built their own house had to fill out various forms and bathrooms are not considered living space,  I will ask them about "luxury" tax but I am sure when they helped me with ideas for improvements we discussed this and luxury was a myth of the forums as they are deemed an normal part of any house these days.  Likewise areas under 1.8m (useful when converting loft space) are also excluded.

I will ask though and they are just purchasing another property to do up and will need to start again with the paper trail.

I thought a wash hand basin is also taken into account?

When we queried our TF after we moved to our house here, the tax bod went through all our accommodation and asked whether we had a hand basin in the separate toilet.

Can that be a reason why some French houses have 5 or 6 bedrooms but only one bathroom and one separate toilet with no hand washing facilities?

Personally, I can't live anywhere with no hand basin in the toilet  (no emoticon that could express my distaste sufficiently)

I always wondered why our downstairs loo has an adjacent (but separate) shower room with washbasin. I often make a joke of telling people that the washbasin is in the room next to the loo, so we'll be watching to make sure they pop next door to wash their hands..

But it always struck me as odd because the wall separating the two is a simple stud partition and could easily be removed, and I've thought several times about doing just that.

[quote user="sweet 17"]I thought a wash hand basin is also taken into account?

When we queried our TF after we moved to our house here, the tax bod went through all our accommodation and asked whether we had a hand basin in the separate toilet.

Can that be a reason why some French houses have 5 or 6 bedrooms but only one bathroom and one separate toilet with no hand washing facilities?

Personally, I can't live anywhere with no hand basin in the toilet  (no emoticon that could express my distaste sufficiently)

[/quote]

I'm another who can't do without a hand basin in a separate toilet; that was one of the first changes we made to our house in England when we moved in 30+ years ago. We know many people who don't have this facility in France. It can be difficult to say the least when staying overnight with one set of friends with just the one bathroom containing only a bath and hand basin (plus the washing machine of course) and a separate toilet with no handbasin; 2 adults in the family, their 3 offspring plus us. The mind boggles about how things arranged themselves when a family of 4 adult Japanese visitors flew to France to stay with them for several nights! 

To taxes and bathrooms etc. We bought new 6 years ago, so reasonably recently. When we had to fill

out forms to say what was in the apartment, neighbours impressed on us that

we shouldn't put down that we had a hand basin in the separate toilet as the tax would be much higher. They thought we were a bit mad to have a shower/WC/hand basin in the bathroom plus a separate WC with hand basin, but even more mad to write it on an official form. We did end up paying more than them for TF but I can't remember how much more.

[quote user="gardengirl "]

I'm another who can't do without a hand basin in a separate toilet; that was one of the first changes we made to our house in England when we moved in 30+ years ago. We know many people who don't have this facility in France. It can be difficult to say the least when staying overnight with one set of friends with just the one bathroom containing only a bath and hand basin (plus the washing machine of course) and a separate toilet with no handbasin; 2 adults in the family, their 3 offspring plus us. The mind boggles about how things arranged themselves when a family of 4 adult Japanese visitors flew to France to stay with them for several nights! 

To taxes and bathrooms etc. We bought new 6 years ago, so reasonably recently. When we had to fill

out forms to say what was in the apartment, neighbours impressed on us that

we shouldn't put down that we had a hand basin in the separate toilet as the tax would be much higher. They thought we were a bit mad to have a shower/WC/hand basin in the bathroom plus a separate WC with hand basin, but even more mad to write it on an official form. We did end up paying more than them for TF but I can't remember how much more.

[/quote]

YES!  It was the first thing we had done in our last 1930s house in Wales.  In fact, I wouldn't move in until it was done.

You may remember, GG, how I put in a massive amount of research (and had no end of comments and advice[:D]) on the forum before buying our present place.  We were looking at those houses without a hand basin in the loo and working out whether it was possible to add a basin and, if the answer was no, the houses were rejected outright, regardless of beauty/value for money/fantastic location etc.

Just as well we are all picky in different ways, isn't it?  Or we'd all be going after the same houses and rejecting all the same ones?[:D]

There is apparently a new trend where one can purchase a toilet with a sink incorporated at the top of the cystern and waste going down the loo. It was suggested to us as a way of saving space when we recently had an ensuite room installed (in England), though we didn't take up the suggestion in the end.

Could lead to some interesting tax discussions in France.

We never had a basin in our toilet. There was no room, so this unit would have been helpful. My youngest son used to practically stand guard when his friends were round, directing them into the bathroom to wash their hands after using the toilet.

And I always had soap and towels in my kitchen and a double sink if the bathroom was in use,  the kitchen was next to the bathroom. No matter how many guests we always managed.

As far as bathroom, shower-room and toilets are concerned, it's not the actual room which matters, but it's the actual element which pushes the "luxury" level.

If you already have a bath in your bathroom, there's no difference in "luxury" if you replace it with a shower.

But if you add a bathroom, shower-room or WC where there is already one in the property, or if you add a basin to an existing WC, your  house is deemed to have added "luxury" and you're supposed to complete a H1 form to notify the tax people so they can re-assess your house taxes.

These taxes are assessed on old-fashioned grades dating back to the 70s and with each new government and finance minister, there are noises about updating them to bring them in line with modern standard of living (in the hope of raking in more taxes), but that's always been a lot of hot air up to now...

[quote user="Théière"]The new trend has been in the Brico depot catalogue for several years.

It's very item that will allow us the comfort of an upstairs convenience [:)]

[/quote]

Not being very imaginative, I can't make out where the toilet pan is, Teapot.

I know it's sometimes called the "little boys' room" and I can see how boys (big as well as little) can use that contraption easily but what about us little girls?[8-)]

[quote user="Théière"]The new trend has been in the Brico depot catalogue for several years.

It's very item that will allow us the comfort of an upstairs convenience [:)]

[/quote]

Not being very imaginative, I can't make out where the toilet pan is, Teapot.

I know it's sometimes called the "little boys' room" and I can see how boys (big as well as little) can use that contraption easily but what about us little girls?[8-)]

The picture is of just the sink and cistern. If you google image "combined sink and toilet" you will get the idea.

Interesting that things can become trendy after being around for years. The plumber obviously saw a very trendy person as a potential customer.

Are bidets still a necessity in France?

[quote user="idun"]Personally I find bidets are somewhat of a lifestyle choice. And I am not prepared to say more than that[blink]

[/quote]

Bidets rule, OK?

Deffo MY lifestyle choice.  Haven't got one yet in the "new" house; just waiting for one in the right shade of pink to be advertised on leboncoin [:D]