on-line bank recommendation please

mint

Can anyone recommend an on-line bank please?

I have looked at the sites of ING (I used them in the UK) and Fortuneo.  I know Parsnips has mentioned Fotuneo before but he was talking about them as a place to put savings rather than as a place to have a current account.

Does anyone have an internet bank as their SOLE bank in France? 

If so, have you found any drawbacks?  I know the obvious one about not having a "real" bank in town you can pop into.  But, apart from that, is there anything I should be alert to?

It seems to me that these banks have some very attractive advantages but I am a bit wary about warnings to do with "no such thing as a free lunch"?

In the UK I have an account with First Direct and they are superb. However, the reason for not having it as a main account is the charge for using their debit card abroad, hence Norwich & Peterborough.

FD has superb customer service always available and they seem to select very capable staff. But sometimes yo do need a bank to pay in a cheque or draw a large sum of cash and this is where FD score as they are part of HSBC - though the cheque situation may soon be relieved by the trials of taking a photo of a cheque and sending the photo to the bank. It does not solve the cash problem.

No experience of online in France but from experience in the UK there needs to be a tie up with a high street bank for large amounts of cash and cheques.

We have been with ING here in France for years, never a problem. However, that is not our main bank as we have insurance and other investments with CA, and it handy to call in when there is a problem. ING current account is free if you put in a certain amount every month and their Bank Card is free too. We were with another internet bank, but as we would not buy their products, they shut down our account and sent us a cheque for the balance!

Hi, we've banked with Axabanque since 2007, it's 100% online, with email and telephone support if needed. No complaints as such, the website is excellent, as is the smartphone app, and the annual charges are reasonable (a bog standard current account is around 40 euros a year - ours has a few more bells and whistles and is 99 euros per year). The only drawback I'd mention is that we can only pay cheques into our account by sending them to a sorting office in Paris, but then we don't get a lot of cheques given to us........ Hope that helps

Thank you, PaulT and Lehaut.

From what you have told me, I think I'd best keep our Banque Postale account and open an internet account, probably with ING, as I know them already.

I'll open a current account to begin with so that I am up and running.  Later, I shall be looking for a vehicle to put some savings into but there is no rush for that because, as we all know only too well, there is no real interest to be had either side of the channel on savings.

It's ironic but, when I had a mortgage, interest rates were eye-wateringly high and now that I haven't got one and have a bit of spare, the rates are abysmally low.

Still, if I could stay out of debt, I shall be reasonably content[:D]

Thank you again.

Bonjour Wools

What, you have finished your kitchen already?

Care to come down south and do mine?

Banks are not friendly places, that's a given, and are certainly not run for the benefit of "the little people".  Moreover, there is not a lot of choice out there [+o(] 

Good question, G & B; this is also what I am looking at when reading the terms and conditions.

Only had time for a quick look but I will make a list and see which bank gives what.

At the moment, and just skimming the headline offers, I haven't as yet found any major differences.

My reservation about these online banks is security; given that I do not really think that the internet is ever totally 100% secure, I fear that some Martian meddler is going to come and nick my jewels electronically, so to speak.

And the whole business of passwords drives me nuts. One is constantly changing, upgrading, modifying the damned things so that one does not even know if one is seeing the world through eyes or ears.

Then there is the personal touch that my little bank offers; the little bits of questions they are usually able to answer, the explanations given, cock ups sorted; these are all advantages.

That being said, I do have 24 hour telephone banking on my sterling account and find that very useful for sorting stuff in the wee small hours, or even just having a chat.

Nimt, one thing is that most of the online banks seem to be owned by the big French High Street banks which should give a measure of security.

Quote user=Graham & Brenda "Are there any online banks where you don't have to put in a minimum amount every month to get a free card with the current account?"

Yes, Fortuneo and Boursorama don't require a minimum deposit each month, but they do require other conditions, e.g. minimum 5,000 in a savings account or Assurance Vie.

There may be others - have a look at this comparison website

[quote user="parsnips"][quote user="woolybanana"]Try Fortuneo.fr, they seem to be pretty well set up.[/quote]

Seconded - they are recognised by the financial press as the least expensive  french bank.

[/quote]

Ah, Parsnips, there you are![:)]

I was hoping you'd come on and say something.

Could you now please tell me about a savings vehicle that does not necessarily have a life assurance element and maybe not have a minimum period in which you need to keep it?

Best regards to you and to Mrs Parsnips.

TB, many thanks, will study your link with some care.

[quote user="Patf"]Maybe a naive question, but what do you do for cash if you only have online?  My 'puter doesn't have a cash slot [:(]

Or do you keep enough in you regular bank for cash withdrawals?

[/quote]

Pat, some of the on-line banks give you a CB card and of course some give you a "free" credit card too.

Haven't had time to study all the info as I am pretty glued to the TV for Wimbledon.  Plus I am waiting to see if Parsnips comes back and whether anyone else has other recommendations.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Meanwhile, nint, have you requested an information pack from fortuneo and the others?[/quote]

Wools, you can read all the info on-line and sign up in 5 minutes.  At least that's what the headline info says.  You might have to scan in the usual personal info or perhaps send it, don't know yet.

Gotta go as I am watching the TV, writing on here and attempting French homework.  Muti-tasking, hah, nothing to it![:D]

[quote user="woolybanana"]Meanwhile, nint, have you requested an information pack from fortuneo and the others?[/quote]

Wools, you can read all the info on-line and sign up in 5 minutes.  At least that's what the headline info says.  You might have to scan in the usual personal info or perhaps send it, don't know yet.

Gotta go as I am watching the TV, writing on here and attempting French homework.  Muti-tasking, hah, nothing to it![:D]