Who is Your Favourite French Person?

Christine Animal

I think, after Albert Schweitzer (of course), Thierry Le Luron and Vraititi (bien sûr),

I would choose Jeanne Moreau.

Once she was being interviewed by Christine Ockrent who kept cutting her off with another question, before she had finished answering the previous one.  Jeanne never bashed an eyelid and carried on by saying "Excusez-moi de vous interrompre..."

And who is yours?

The Landlady at my local, She is 92, she opens 7 days a week, always wears full make up, hair do etc. Her bar has not changed in 60 years and is spotless. She has time for a chat with everyone, she remembers every detail of the conversation and enquires as to how it's going the next time.

Chirac...He is the only Frenchman that you do not have to say "Parlez plus lentement pour moi s'il vous plait"

Quite agree.  I've always thought he has a nice speaking voice.  But Dominique dV has an even nicer accent.  Would love to hear him reading some of his poems.

Are we only allowed one?  Can't we have several?

Two more I'd love to meet are both known by their initials and both desperately attractive (at least to girls of my age): journalist, writer and womaniser, PPDA and writer/ philosophe, BHL. 

Probably top of the list though is actor and reason I paid attention in French when at school, Jean-Pierre Leaud.  And last but certainly not least, the man who directed him in so many magnificent films, the late Francois Truffaut...

M

• 4 weeks later...

But MWJ is a lady of class, Opalienne, she sees past the wig to the bald head..... no, I mean to the great mind beneath it.  

BHL et al are too much like hard work for me.  Today I am reinforced as a Zizou fan after reading a praise-filled article about him yesterday.   Good dad to his 3 boys, a beau gosse (oh yes!), he does things for a sick children's charity (is it muscular dystrophy?), he doesn't get plastered, and is generally very strong and silent.   Hmmmmm.......   Good taste in wives too, which I suppose is why he's not married to me.

He doesn't wear a wig, and I'm still waiting for someone to show me a better-looking Frenchman, because if one exists I WANT TO SEE HIM!