Sending cheques in the Eurozone

JeanS

I think you'll find that they'd take it, but there would be a charge for processing it.

Our son recently received a euro cheque drawn on a French bank and his UK bank charged about £15. Perhaps a call to your grandson's bank would clarify?

Alternatively a bank transfer, but you'd need his IBAN number.

[quote user="JeanS"]I want to send a cheque to my grandson who lives in Eire (Southern Ireland) - as they use Euros.  Would the Irish bank accept a cheque drawn on a French bank?  Any thoughts???? [/quote]

We have been faced with this situation. The Irish bank will treat it as a "foreign" cheque, as Irish banks are not in the French bank cheque clearing system, and vice-versa. They will therefore charge a fee, the level of which you will find unreasonable. The best way is to do a SEPA virement from your account directly to his.

You may also find that you need to physically be at a branch to do it.

I don't know about other banks but I tried to do it on line from my Banque Postale account and Ireland is not listed as a country to which you can do an international transfer yourself.

[quote user="JeanS"]

I want to send a cheque to my grandson who lives in Eire (Southern Ireland) - as they use Euros.  Would the Irish bank accept a cheque drawn on a French bank?  Any thoughts????

[/quote]

I agree with the previous posters. It would be much better and far cheaper to make a bank transfer to his account. If you can get his BIC (bank code - formerly SWIFT code) and IBAN - unique bank account number - usually 22 digits long, you can transfer directly from your account to his with minimal cost (think less than 5€ rather than 20+€ for processing a cheque. Added to which the costs for a transfer end up on your account. The costs for processing a cheque end up on his account.

[quote user="JeanS"]

It's back to Plan A - I'll send him a present.

[/quote]

Ahh, but just think of the postage costs ! Send him the money by virement and a lovely card with an IOU to show what you have done and then he can buy himself what he wants. [:)]

Sue