Be careful how you say 'phoque'

Kitty

So I was at the vets at a seaside resort accompanied by 8 year old son, who goes to school here.  The vet clipped my dogs nails and said there was no charge.  I said (in French) can I give you some money to support a charity?  The vet replied  'Ici, nous sauvons les phoques',  I looked very puzzled, my French not being good enough to know what he meant.  He turned to my son (who had not been listening to my conversation): "Qu'est-ce que c'est, un 'phoque'?".  My son 's eyes widened and he looked at me in horror.

P.S.  un phoque is a seal.

RH - that made me laugh,  [:D]  [:D]  It's strange that it's un phoque.  It sounds like a feminine noun to me but before posting, I did check that it's masculine.  What I didn't say is the vet couldn't explain what it was very easily because my son didn't know the word - you try telling a foreigner what a seal is, without flapping your hands going oink oink - and so he had to google the word on his computer to get an image for me.

We like Cancale but several times 'out of the ordinary ' things have taken place there, once we arrived and there was a music festival which was terrific, twice (different years) we have been eating in one of the restaurants and an English choir has appeared and sung.(Greensleeves both times) Another time we were eating lunch and my friends suddenly said 'there are a green man and woman walking up the street' - of course we thought she was tipsy, but in fact it was a festival of the oyster and there was a parade of about 20 men and women, dressed in green and holding baskets of oysters, passing by.

Then of course un phoque.........

AS mentioned on my previous posting the Phoque is still around the corner from us ,halfway down to St.Suliac.Apparently the same one has been going around this end of the Rance for 2-3 years. She managed to get in via the lock by the barrage. As for Cancale and surounding Dinan/Dinard/St.Malo/Le Mont etc.etc. There is always something going on , not only watching seals.

Regards.

Clair - Is there another way of saying 'quarter to' in French other than 'moins le quart'?  I have been trying to pronounce it in lots of different ways.  Monica is what you could say in one pronunciation.  Another is mind the cat, perhaps?  Oh I give up.  Where is Pads?

I take it , that I must be saying it wrong.........[:$] but I thought Less=Moins sounds like wang and quarter =quart sounds like car.

Dosnt any one else say it that way ?? 

I thought that was why my teacher taught me the 24 hour clock so I had to say 11.45 in stead of quarter to 12 [:)]

I would say, less like car and more as though it rhymes with baaah (as in what a sheep says!) with a slight, gutteral r at at the end.  As for moins, then yes - a mwang sound but without the g being pronounced.  Having said that, I think it's very difficult to do this (write a sound) as the two languages really do have their own unique sounds which are hard to replicate in print!

But I wouldn't say it rhymes with Merchant Banker!

[quote user="Pads"]

I take it , that I must be saying it wrong.........[:$] but I thought Less=Moins sounds like wang and quarter =quart sounds like car.

Dosnt any one else say it that way ?? 

I thought that was why my teacher taught me the 24 hour clock so I had to say 11.45 in stead of quarter to 12 [:)]

[/quote]

Now I understand, Pads!!  [:D]  With yours and with Leo's "cutlery", I've been chuckling out aloud and my 8 year old wants to know why.  [Www]