DVLA a scam?

Doodle

Hi all, Just wanted to make you aware of this email I received. I think it may be a scam as I have not been registered with the DVLA for 8 years and if you read the contents there are some errors. I've copied it over minus the link of course. I don't think the email address is correct but I haven't check it out yet.

DVLA@ dvladriver.co

You are eligible to recieve a refund

Dear customer,

We are currrently upgrading our database and we found that you are eligible to recieve a refund from your last payment made on our behalf.

A refund can be delayed for a variety of reasons. As example, for submitting invalid records or applying over the deadline.

To complete your refund application with us, you are required to fill out the form in the link below.

If you refuses to complete your application within two weeks of receiving this email will cause the lose the specified amount and you will take full responsabilty for that. We sincerely apologise for any inconviniences this might have caused you. Thank you for your co-operation. (c) Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency Swansea SA6 7JL

It's a scam, and the email address given is fraudulent.

However, there IS something that people need to be aware of: some are, some aren't. It was pointed out at the time, but many people haven't taken it on board. At the same time that the paper tax disc was scrapped, the UK rules changed such that as soon as a car is sold, the new owner has to immediately re-tax the car: the new owner does not get the benefit of the remainder of the month that the previous owner has paid for - and the previous owner does not get paid a refund for part-months remaining. There is an article in the Grauniad's Money section on such a problem.