How can you?

Frenchie

[quote user="chessfou"]Really, it's all down to using fresh ingredients (instead of using junk industrial stuff in jars or packets) and trying to cook Indian food as the Indians would.[/quote]

The packets I get online do not contain MSG, colourings, hydrogenated fats or chemical preservatives.

It's a lot easier for me to make a goo tasty curry from these than from fresh ingredients, which are difficult to get hold of in rural France where I live and which I wouldn't necessarily know how to use properly.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Frenchie"]

Grated coconut..

What you say is very useful, I'll try that way next time.

merci !!!!

[/quote]

Ah ha, that will be the problem Frenchie, not grated coconut, Best to use coconut milk or creme in tins. Available in Leader price around 45 cents or the block if nothing else.

No wonder you needed the pompiers afterwards [:D]

[quote user="Patf"]Coconut milk might do it, but creamed coconut is different, it comes in a block . You scrape it into the sauce and it dissolves.[/quote]

Oh please, don't let us split hairs, "might do it" Will do it.

Reasonable quality coconut milk or cream is the sweet juice and the pulp which add both depth of flavour and taste.  Avoid "Dunns river" version as it is like knats pee.

The blocks of creamed coconut are formed by grating the flesh and compressing the liquid out. Definitely the second choice.

Clair seen both in Leclerk's but good quality for the price in Leader price.

[quote user="Frenchie"]

Morning

Oh I bought some in Lidl price, and I like the quality of the Suzy Wan one, can be found anywhere.

Never seen the one to grate.

[/quote]

Went to a club called Suzy Wan's in Wanchai district of Hong Kong, but that is a different story and involved a ping pong ball [:$]

If you have no coconut milk, block, whatever, plain old cow's UHT will also cool the curry.

In fact, I sometimes find coconut milk quite rich (unless you buy a fresh coconut and extract the milk yourself, in which case it's not been concentrated) and can make the curry oily.

I like to just use milk.  Works well, "tones" the heat down and is a surprisingly delicious addition.  I suspect that "real" curries don't contain milk because milk is neither easy to find in a country with a hot climate; nor will it keep well.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

If you have no coconut milk, block, whatever, plain old cow's UHT will also cool the curry.

In fact, I sometimes find coconut milk quite rich (unless you buy a fresh coconut and extract the milk yourself, in which case it's not been concentrated) and can make the curry oily.

I like to just use milk.  Works well, "tones" the heat down and is a surprisingly delicious addition.  I suspect that "real" curries don't contain milk because milk is neither easy to find in a country with a hot climate; nor will it keep well.

[/quote]

No Sweets, [geek] its because in Assia they grow a lot of coconuts and that adds a wonderful coconut flavour to the curries. They have plenty of milk and cream they make excellent Kulfi ice cream with it.

With the tins it can seperate out and that allows you to add the milk and just as much of the cream as you want. I reduce the amount of the cream I use in Tom yum soup as it can get a bit heavy and oily.

For anyone who is interested,

Like Clair, we don't have an abundance of good shops here to buy Indian and other food supplies. We have used, two or three times now, a mail order company from the UK www spicesof india.co.uk and have found them to be excellent and very quick. Delivery ( about £9 last time) is worth it if you buy a decent amount. They have a good selection of other cooking things that can be pretty expensive here too.. certain spices, lentils, some kinds of beans etc. Our nearest decent asian shop is about 1hr 30 m away in Toulouse and I have yet to find a decent indian grocer anywhere this side of Balham

Now have a selection of yummy lime pickles to get through.

I don't have any connection with them other than being a very satisfied customer.

Danny