How can you?

Frenchie

Last night I cooked a Malaysian curry .

Curry paste, coconut, lime etc..  with beef, looked perfect.

But O M G !!!!!!   That was Hot !

I could not finish my plate.

My English friends usually find this kind of dish awesome .

WHY can't I enjoy it ?

Are French palates different from British ones ??

I must add that I like a bit of Harisssa with coucous , but some curries ... wowww  ... How can you???????

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[:D][:D][:D]

Frenchie its something you work up to,  On our first trip to Thailand we had a sort of pallet re-alignment (as hot as Malaysian). Now ordinary Chinese is as bland as English food (used to be).

We aquired the knowledge and cooked a meal for our relatives who have been in France for 18 years, it nearly blew their socks off!

Fortunately the effect is only temporary and we still thoroughly enjoy a meal at Raymond Blanc's which is full of flavour but delicate.

Bon appetite 

Teapot [:P] .. you re taking the pis* !!  If one day I meet you I'll cook andouillette and snails !!!! [:D][:D][:D]

Ame, I feel less lonely now !! [kiss]

BB , you are right, it must be progressive, but I doubt I will ever be able to have Malaysian again.. Unless I add some yogurt as Ame said.

By the way, there's a lot left...  LOL

Frenchie - what kind of coconut did you use? I used to make that kind of curry, and we had many of them when we lived in Singapore. You need to reduce the amount of chilli powder, and put in lots of creamed coconut, which you buy in a block. This should soften the flavour.

And the banana idea is good too. We used to have side dishes of banana, crispy fried onions, finely sliced cucumber, roasted peanuts, and grated coconut.

[quote user="Patf"]And the banana idea is good too. We used to have side dishes of banana, crispy fried onions, finely sliced cucumber, roasted peanuts, and grated coconut.[/quote]

When I was a child home-made curry was served with similar side dishes, including sliced banana tossed in dessicated coconut.

I make curries quite often at home and I use a mix of pre-prepared paste and my own ingredients including coconut (milk and creamed) but if it comes out a little hot! I just add a spoon of sugar and that seems to take the some of the heat out of it, but if OH wants his hotter I can just cool mine off a bit separately, works a treat [:)]

[quote user="Frenchie"] Mr Frenchie [...]makes delicious curries, but as he knows I don't like them hot, he makes them mild. [/quote]

Lucky you![:)]

Mr Clair doesn't do cooking! His "cooking" is limited to reheating a pizza!

I have told him it doesn't count as cooking if it doesn't start with raw ingredients [:P]

Faire revenir des oignons ( moi ej fais dans un peu d huile et une noisette de beurre) ; ensuite rajouter des morceaux d'ecalopes de poulet..  faire bien revenir jusuq'à ce que le poulet soit doré.. 

Ensuite rajouter des petits morceaux de poivrons , des pousses de bambou, du mais en grains, bien faire revenir, ajouter de la sauce soja, sel poivre ,ne pas hésiter à avoir la main lourde sur la sauce soja !

laisser qq minutes sur feu doux

faire cuire des nouilles chinoises , égoutter et servir avec la préparation poulet dessus.

Très simple et délicieux.

Et light :!! 

I've replied on the cooking foil thread.

Really, it's all down to using fresh ingredients (instead of using junk industrial stuff in jars or packets) and trying to cook Indian food as the Indians would.

Have you ever tried a "French" restaurant in another country and found it to be awful and not at all French? (obviouslyI'm not referring to places like Le Manoir, one of my favourites, or the many other good places).