Bank Card

John Brown

If you are not able to get about anymore and are virtually housebound, what would be the attitude of the Bank's in France and the UK  be if they found out you were letting a son or daughter use your ATM card to draw money out for you

The reason I ask is, I thought I might be opening a can of worms if I mentioned this to them at some point

John

In my experience (but I do live in the back of beyond), I have been able to use a card in OH's name only anywhere and everywhere.  Nevermind at cash points, in supermarkets and other retail outlets perfectly freely.

They don't seem to take much notice as long as you take out or spend within your limits and the attached conditions.

Nobody looks at cards these days really, nor asks for photo ID.

You simply put the card into the machine and input the pin number.

I often use my daughters CA card here and in the UK. I do have power of Attorney, but it has never been queried.

Also, my better half more often than not goes shopping with my own cards here and in the UK.

Don't worry is my advice, although you could perhaps take a signed letter of permission with you.

I thought John's question was about the possibility that the bank might regard the fact that he had given the code to someone else was a breach of security so he was no longer covered for fraudulent use, not a practical question of whether it is possible which it obviously is...

[quote user="NormanH"]I thought John's question was about the possibility that the bank might regard the fact that he had given the code to someone else was a breach of security so he was no longer covered for fraudulent use ...

[/quote]

Me too.

To my knowledge it is written in the T&Cs of any card, in any country, that the pin number should not be divulged to anyone other than the card-holder. Witness the fact that all the pin nos I have received have included instructions to destroy the letter/card/email after reading.

So, it seems to me, that so doing renders the card-holder liable should any problem arise.

Having said that I don't know anyone who has not temporarily used someone else's card or had their own card used by someone else.

Sue

When he was short my son used my card to get petrol and I used his to get shopping.As long as the card holder agrees why rock the boat and start involving the bank?? If you don't trust the person you want to use the card, then don't! Simples

John

as others have said, the mechanics of doing this are straightforward, but if you are worried about the "legalities" (and I sense you are), why not apply to your bank for an additional card in your son's/daughter's name.

If it is a French bank then you will incur an extra annual charge at most banks, but for a UK bank, I am not sure there would be a charge.

Thanks for all the replies. They have been very helpful.

I will start by asking my Bank about a card for my Son and take it from there. If it gets a bit awkward I'll back off

I can trust both my kids so there's no problem with that.

I was more concerned if I rely on them and there's some sort of spot check, but I have never heard of such a thing happening

Parkinson's under control ATM Norman thanks, but I get bad hours, sometimes only bad minutes so I'm not complaining.

Thanks, John

If done with your permission how can such an act be illegal ?

I sometimes use my OH's card  if I want more cash than one card allows, how can that be anybody's business but mine and hers ?

I can't really see any bank issuing a card to someone who is not named on the underlying account.

I don't think anyone was seriously suggesting it might be illegal as such - which is why I put legalities into inverted commas. It is a breach of the T&Cs which you agree to with the bank and as such is a breach of faith and commercial law/agreement.

Will anyone go to jail? - I doubt it.

Could the bank withdraw your cards and even have you blacklisted - certainly yes for the withdrawal.

Why should a bank not issue a card for someone not named on the account? It happens all the time. Husband has account and asks for second card for wife. Rich daddy has account and asks for card for his spoiled brats ( John this is in no way aimed at you and yours in your situation.) Sugar daddy has account and gets card for his .......... (insert word of your choice).

The key point is that the account holder is making the request for an additional card. It is after all his money - although some French banks might dispute that simplistic assertion.

DO NOT tell the bank what you are planning! You will be admitting to breaching their terms and conditions and while I am sure the smiley face at the bank will brush it off as no big deal, I am equally sure that they will use this breach to drag you over the coals if they decide to in the future.

No problem with a UK bank to have a second or even a third cardholder.  But you, of course, remain the account holder and whatever they spend is included in your limit.

Don't know about French banks, however, and in many ways I don't want to know unless I absolutely have to.  I have written on the Forum and asked for advice re French bank accounts and every horror story that has ever been posted on here and I daresay elsewhere is no exaggeration.

I really do think that if any French government wants to address the parlous state of France's finances, they need to first of all overhaul the banking system.  How anyone can run large, global businesses here is beyond my comprehension.

Dave, in the post above and in his usual no-nonsense way, has given you a way out of your predicament.  Sure, you take some risk and only you can calculate if that risk is acceptable.

In any event, good luck, JB, I so hope you find a way to do this that you are happy with.