Re: The songs we are singing

Frenchie

Christine

Many apologies for non reply.  To be honest, I have only just got the phone line, nevermind internet and all the rest of it.  Can't seem to be able to quote you but, anyway, here I am.  I LOVE the song you posted.  Would also have liked the food and the drink but, hey, you can't have everything.

Frenchie

Thanks for the warm welcome.  I'm glad you like "Aupres de ma blonde".  I thought it was such a funny song.  Will try to find my CD with Songs of the Auvergne and tell you about it.

As regards Macca, I taught Italian kids English in a University summer school one year and I used "Yesterday" to teach the Past Simple.  Boy, did they love the song.  Then I came to "There's a shadow hanging over me"; how to explain "shadow"?  I cheated and used the Italian "umbra" but I am not sure I got across to them that it was a figurative shadow and not an actual one!

I'm just so pleased to be back on the forum.  I had HUGE difficulty getting logged in but I had MASSIVE help.....from Cassis and James the Wonderworker.  So, thank you buckets Cassis & James!

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="sweet 17"]Christine
Frenchie
As regards Macca, I taught Italian kids English in a University summer school one year and I used "Yesterday" to teach the Past Simple.  Boy, did they love the song.  Then I came to "There's a shadow hanging over me"; how to explain "shadow"?  I cheated and used the Italian "umbra" but I am not sure I got across to them that it was a figurative shadow and not an actual one!

[/quote]

I used to teach English to primary school children, and " hello Goodbye" was a big favourite, easy to remember ,  and kids learnt quite a few words from it.. Yes/ No/hello/ goobye/ high/low/ why . / go /..

I had my Lyçée students to work on " she s leaving home", I thought the song might be too slow for them,;but they adored it..

I loved the " Shadow hanging over me" image   Hee Hee ... xx  [:D]

Frenchie

I also taught from a song by Suzanne Vegas (I can't remember the name); it was in Present Simple and Present Continuous.  There was this woman looking through the rain into a diner and going up to the counter to get (I think) coffee.  Then there was the sound of bells ringing.  Quite a contemplative song but I do wish my memory was rather better!  Oh la la, quelle memoire.....c'est ne marche pas!

[quote user="sweet 17"]Frenchie

I also taught from a song by Suzanne Vegas (I can't remember the name); it was in Present Simple and Present Continuous.  There was this woman looking through the rain into a diner and going up to the counter to get (I think) coffee.  Then there was the sound of bells ringing.  Quite a contemplative song but I do wish my memory was rather better!  Oh la la, quelle memoire.....c'est ne marche pas!
[/quote]

I don't know this song.. Hope someone will know it and give the title..

When I was a student, I ve met Suzanne Vega, she was very nice to talk to..

[kiss]

Woolybanana

I tried to quote your post and rely to you but I am not sure whether the message "got through".  So here is another reply but, if you got the first one, then many apologies.

The Present Continuous is necessary to express an action that is ongoing at the time of speaking.  For example, "I am writing to France Forum" meaning I am doing the writing at this very moment in time.  Compare this with, "I watch the TV everyday".  This second sentence does not imply that I am watching right this minute, merely that I watch as a habitual action or that I watch as a matter of fact.  So, you see, the Present Continuous has its place.  The Present Simple, on the other hand is not always Present and hardly ever Simple!

Why did I ever teach it?  Because I love getting across these distinctions; it's like a sort of game for me.  Don't know about the poor students!

Sweet 17, I taught EFL for 35 years, to the sound of gun and whip, in Libya, Iran, Kuwait, Belgium, Hong Kong, UK, France, Belgium etc., plus I have a PGCE in ELT and an MA in ELT. Whosoever told you that the present continuous is of any importance and worth teaching contiguous to the present simple should have had their brain seen to. It is only used 7% of the time whereas the present simple is well over 50%. It has not been taught that way, I hope since Janet and John or whatever it was called;. I won't go on as I feel guilty about not putting this in a pm.

By the way, better teach the present continuous as a future, just to finish on a constructive note.

Woolybanana

I bow to your superior experience and knowledge.  And yes, the Present Continuous is good to express the future.  However, I still think it has its use to talk about the here and now.

Now, how about some more songs?  "I am sailing"? Present Continuous rules, OK?

I like people for more than one person and children for more than one child, once instead of one time, twice instead of two times, but then I am British and not American, this may have something to do with it.

Another example, I think this thread is rubbish, rather than I think this thread is garbage.[:)]

Posts have removed from this thread. Please post within the Code of Conduct and keep  personal issues off of the forum, the Living France email and PM system where they are covered by the Code of Conduct.

Further posts that do not adhere to the Code of Conduct will be removed without further warning and the offenders  forum membership suspended.