Why do cars have to be so complicated?

Jonzjob

[quote user="Théière"]Considering a lot of the pumps have hoses long enough to reach the "wrong side fuel cap" anyway. Never had that issue with my Cooper S [8-|]

[/quote]

Twin tanks, T?

My Triumph TR2 was even easier: filler bang in the middle of the rear scuttle.......

Here:

The very first time I filled my 1946 MGTC in Singapore I stuck the nosle into the tank and started to fill it. After several gallons I looked into the tank. I thought that it held about 7 or 8 gallons and after 10 I looked underneath to see if it was leaking? It holds 13 gallons!!

I though that Candid Camera was on me [:-))]

At university, I occasionally drove Transit crewbuses for various groups. On one occasion, I had to take one that was new to me (but had been bought second-hand) and refuel it. Bearing in mind that this was 1984, and that petrol was less than £2 per gallon, and bearing in mind that in those days most pumps were still fitted with those trigger clips which meant that you could insert the nozzle, start pumping fuel, engage the clip and let go, I was daydreaming a bit and suddenly realised that time had passed, the pump was still going, and the price was heading towards £50. I glanced under the vehicle to check that the fuel wasn't spilling out from a rusted petrol tank seam (seen THAT one before). No, and the pump is still going. It stopped at just over £50 - the most I had EVER put into a vehicle at that point. 

When I handed back the keys and logged in the vehicle (and my expenses claim!), I expressed my surprise at the fuel tank capacity. "Oh yes, we bought that from British Airways - they used it at Heathrow and had fitted a bespoke extra-long-range tank". I seem to recall the receipt being for around 130 LITRES - nearly 29 gallons.

[quote user="Gluestick"][quote user="Théière"]Considering a lot of the pumps have hoses long enough to reach the "wrong side fuel cap" anyway. Never had that issue with my Cooper S [8-|]

[/quote]

Twin tanks, T?

My Triumph TR2 was even easier: filler bang in the middle of the rear scuttle.......

Here:

[/quote]

Aha, if it was quiet I could park between the two pumps and take one for the left AND another for the right tank in the days with the little clip that kept the pump running. I was looking for an old photo of me doing this but alas can't find it now.

When I owned the TR, 1964, petrol was also about five bob a gallon: used to fill the 12.5 gallon tank once a week at a local Jet station. Mind you, then I was earning about £13 a week, married for 6 months and Mrs Gluey worked in London and earned even more!

And you tell young uns today and they don't believe you! They don't bloody believe you!

[:D]

We had to scrape by on 1250$ Singapore/month at 8 to the £ and we only got a beer allowance of 4 slabs a month. After that we had to buy it [:'(][:'(][:-))] There was only 24 bottles of Tiger in a slab [:(]

An you thought that you 'ad it 'ard mate??? It was hell, but someone had to do it [blink]

In 1964 my Mk VII Jaguar had two fuel tanks, each holding about 9 gallons, with a filler on each side, and did about 15 mpg.

As petrol was 1/8d a gallon, the 30/- to fill both tanks was not a big problem.

I never worried about which side the petrol station pump was on, as in those days I had never filled petrol myself. The guy in the petrol station did this, and he also cleaned the windscreen and checked the oil, water, and tyre pressures.

I had a MkII Ford Consul and pulled in to a petrol station and the chap went to fill it, wandered around the back and up the sides and then came and asked

'where's the filler'

'under the rear number plate'

On some Humbers you undid one of the reflectors.

[quote user="nomoss"]

I never worried about which side the petrol station pump was on, as in those days I had never filled petrol myself. The guy in the petrol station did this, and he also cleaned the windscreen and checked the oil, water, and tyre pressures.

[/quote]

No worries these daze mate. Just stop at a set of traffic lights and get it all done for nowt [:D][:D]

[quote user="Rabbie"]

[quote user="nomoss"]

As petrol was 1/8d a gallon, the 30/- to fill both tanks was not a big problem.

[/quote]Where were you then? Petrol in the UK was about 4/6 a gallon then when I was at Uni

[/quote]

I was in Australia. Sorry, I miscalculated the price somehow - something to do with AU£1.00 = AU$2.00.

I read this fragment I found as "6 gallons of Petrol for $AU 1"

1964 Australia:

6 Gallons of Petrol £AU 1

6 Packets of Rothmans Cigarettes £AU 1

6 Bottles of Melbourne Bitter (26oz) £AU 1

In 1966 we went to decimal currency so £AU 1 = $2

On rechecking I find it was double that - 3/4d a gallon

Source: [url]http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/141980660?[/url]

EDIT. Of course, in those days Australia had the 16 bob pound, so a gallon of petol cost only 32 pence Sterling, 2/8d [:D]