Netiquette

irnbru

[quote user="KathyC"]

But if nobody ever tells anybody anything how do people  learn? I only learnt about shouting in capitals by reading it on a forum, now I know and won't do it.  Giving people new information doesn't need to be done rudely; I would see this as helping someone rather than criticising them.

[/quote]

Sorry, Kathy,

Either I've failed to express myself clearly or you've not caught the point I was trying to make.

Do you really think that you are being shouted at when you see a message in upper-case?  Does anyone?

Does anyone, outside of nurdish (not fond of the word-can't think of an alternative at the moment) flamers on newsgroups/usergroups, really use upper-case as a tool for shouting at people?

Of course, proper-case looks better and reads easier and that's a good reason for having it as a convention. 

To give upper-case a volume control quality that it doesn't have just because people think it should, is IMHO, a bit over-the-top

Davies

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Davies"][

Does anyone, outside of nurdish (not fond of the word-can't think of an alternative at the moment) flamers on newsgroups/usergroups, really use upper-case as a tool for shouting at people?

[/quote]

YES!  BECAUSE IT'S THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN SHOUT AT PEOPLE WITH A KEYBOARD!!!!  [:D]

It's just a convention that's grown up in this strange, internet life that we have nowadays.  Not worth getting stressed about.

[quote user="Will "]

I'm told that the other site we are not allowed to mention came back for a short time but has gone down again.

One problem seems to be that the internet, even this forum, seems to be full of people who are too sensitive to cope with real life, so they have invented this 'netiquette' idea. In life, most adults can enjoy a discussion and accept the fact that other people will have different opinions from their own. On line though, if you do not agree with somebody, it is often taken as a personal insult unless you word it very carefully and quietly indeed. The concept of 'agreeing to disagree' which is the inevitable conclusion of most discussions, seems rather rare.

[/quote]

Will, your innocence is touching!  [:D]

Have you never been on Usenet?    Netiquette-free zone, NOT for the faint-hearted!   Flame wars really are flame wars over there, and insults come from the heart of the bottom, not the namby-pamby stuff on these phorums.   This is like being in church! 

Ooooh I could think of some people I would like to send there, to give

them a real taste of what debates, nay heated arguments are about. The namby flipping pamby's

[:)]

Do people really never get involved in heated debates? As a kid, I

witnessed some real crackers over the back garden wall !!  Happy

days.................[;-)]

[quote] This is like being in church! [/quote]

Amen to that SB....................(ooh what a joke [+o(] )

[quote user="KathyC"]

But if nobody ever tells anybody anything how do people  learn?

[/quote]

Like you Kathy, in the early days of cyberspace I mistakingly used the cap lock key in a message. One person responded quite politely advising this was known as "shouting". A second person responded with "THERE'S NO NEED TO SHOUT".[:@] 

There's a distinction between being told something and being advised in a respectful manner.

I think we will all agree that we learn a damn site more from people who show respect and explain something, rather than from the person who demonstrates a pompous, know-it-all attitude. Unfortuneately there are one or two on this forum who regularly demonstrate the latter, and one in particular who despite his professional background, appears to enjoy "telling " contributors in a very terse, uncomfortable, and unhelpful manner. The only thing a contributor is likely to learn from this attitude is they are not welcome.

Daryl

[quote user="daryl-et-elaine"][and one in particular who despite his professional background, appears to enjoy "telling " contributors in a very terse, uncomfortable, and unhelpful manner. [/quote]

Who's that, then?   I can't think of anyone who's terse, uncomfortable AND unhelpful.

All 3 qualities in one person, that's pretty impressive!  [:)]

[quote user="daryl-et-elaine"]

Like you Kathy, in the early days of cyberspace I mistakingly used the cap lock key in a message. One person responded quite politely advising this was known as "shouting". A second person responded with "THERE'S NO NEED TO SHOUT".[:@] 

[/quote]

And?  

Now you know, so you can work on getting over it.   Sorry it's been so traumatic for you, maybe you should get out more?  [:D] 

[quote user="SaligoBay"]

[quote user="daryl-et-elaine"][and one in particular who despite his professional background, appears to enjoy "telling " contributors in a very terse, uncomfortable, and unhelpful manner. [/quote]

Who's that, then?   I can't think of anyone who's terse, uncomfortable AND unhelpful.

All 3 qualities in one person, that's pretty impressive!  [:)]

[/quote]

Not easy to miss SB, and no it isn't you[;-)]

[quote user="daryl-et-elaine"][quote user="KathyC"]

But if nobody ever tells anybody anything how do people  learn?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Absolutely Daryl/Elaine, that's what I mean by not being rude. That's how we learn from others with more experience.

[quote user="daryl-et-elaine"][quote user="SaligoBay"]

Sorry it's been so traumatic for you, maybe you should get out more?  [:D] [/quote]

[8-)] With 2646 posts since joining on 23/08/04 to my 39 since 16/09/04, I think it should be you who gets out a bit more[:D][:D]

[/quote]

Yikes. Just in case you weren't joking, despite the [:D]s, SBs' date of joining is very very wrong, as is mine.[:D]

Honestly Tresco, I was joking.

[/quote]

Oh good! [:)]

It's just that quite a few of us have the same (wrong) date of joining, which could easily lead people to think we do little else but sit posting on forums.

In fact I have seen people throw that very accusation around based on these wonky 'join' dates, and they weren't joking.

[quote user="daryl-et-elaine"][quote user="SaligoBay"]

Sorry it's been so traumatic for you, maybe you should get out more?  [:D] [/quote]

[8-)] With 2646 posts since joining on 23/08/04 to my 39 since 16/09/04, I think it should be you who gets out a bit more[:D][:D]

[/quote]er - I think SB has been a member much longer than the joining date indicates, Daryl.  You'll notice that a lot of people seem to have a joining date of 23/08/04 - I think it's the date of a forum software update in which the actual joining dates were lost.

In answer to Debra , because I wasn't![8-)]

[/quote]But why be insulted at the suggestion?  That's an insult to squaddies - and for all you know, there may be many squaddies or ex-squaddies on this forum who may be insulted that you are insulted at the suggestion that you might have been one......! 

[quote user="Debra"][quote user="daryl-et-elaine"]

[/quote]But why be insulted at the suggestion?  That's an insult to squaddies - and for all you know, there may be many squaddies or ex-squaddies on this forum who may be insulted that you are insulted at the suggestion that you might have been one......! [/quote]

Well, I know what you mean!

[quote user="Davies"]

Do you really think that you are being shouted at when you see a message in upper-case?  Does anyone?

Of course, proper-case looks better and reads easier and that's a good reason for having it as a convention. 

To give upper-case a volume control quality that it doesn't have just because people think it should, is IMHO, a bit over-the-top

[/quote]

Well, the topic is Netiquette (God, I wish I could let this drop - I'm starting to despise myself) and it is a convention that upper case is shouting.  I often shout without realising it when I'm drunk, too, but I don't have the excuse of a capital lock key on my gob.

I had someone post a response to me on this forum not in upper case but with the size of text increased a couple of notches over the norm.  I think the same effect was intended - it felt like someone was trying to shout me down - but it didn't work!

[;-)]

[quote user="Debra"][quote user="daryl-et-elaine"]

[/quote]But why be insulted at the suggestion?  That's an insult to squaddies - and for all you know, there may be many squaddies or ex-squaddies on this forum who may be insulted that you are insulted at the suggestion that you might have been one......! [/quote]

Here we go again!! Debra, please don't take it out of context. There are other services within the armed forces other than the Army. There is, and always will be good humoured banter, name calling and "insults" between each service, and within each service.

Perhaps I should have inserted a [:D] but I didn't, perhaps I should have gone on to clarify my post, but I didn't.  I now consider myself to have received a severe wigging and when I go aloft to Fiddler's Green no doubt I'll suffer the consequences. [;-)]

Now then,  I am an ex squaddie and Daryl was probably a 'ruff tuff' Para or something.....[;-)] ooh, they used to hit us really hard when we had them as enemy on Salisbury Plains - School of Infantry - Squaddie Heaven! Sorry to go off track but we all need to lighten up a bit here?

best regards

dago

[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g130/dago49/The-New-Recruit.jpg[/IMG]

OK...NOW you can start larfin'