Don't like dentists? Don't look!

Chris Head

It's my turn on Monday..... I forget how old I was last time but it was in the days when they administered gas, my father will laughingly tell you of having to help two dental nurses and the dentist hold me down....not that I've got anything against a dental nurse sitting on me but the circumstance wasn't that pleasant! I remember nothing of course.

Seriously, I'm scared to death and am working my way through it, any tips (apart from don't kill the dentist!)? I'm just about old enough to have a coronary over this.

Chris

Sorry about that, I know it wasn't the most reassuring thing to say. There was a long thread about it on TF recently; it seems that anaesthetic needs to be requested at many dentists. Forewarned is forearmed!

Good luck, it's always worse in anticipation than in reality.

Chris, if its any comfort I think that statistically coronaries are a big cause of  dentists demise.

If he says oh what a large cavity, oh what a large cavity, he is right, the second time is an echo! 

Really things have moved on and you shouldn't feel a thing, if you have children try and remember the breathing they taught your wife in childbirth, breathing remember - not panting!

A lady goes to the dentist. In the chair, the dentist notices a little brown spot on one of her teeth. "Aha, caries! I'll have to drill this one out!" says the dentist. "Oh no, I'd rather have a child!!!" cries the lady. "In that case, let me adjust the chair first," replies the dentist

I have always been terrified of dentist visits in a big way.  When I was a child I remember the nightmares I used to have under gas - horrible!

When I moved to France I just ignored the fact that I had toothache until my dad came to visit.  He noticed I was in pain and got me to book an appointment, he said he would come with me and hold my hand if I wanted - bless him.  I was 28 at the time[:$] and he was diagnosed with cancer and was visiting me before he got too ill to travel. 

Anyway I went, and I explained to the dentist what had happened to me when I was a child and how afraid I was of dentists.  He was so sweet and understanding and was very gentle with me.  He explained step by step what he was doing and showed me the tools he would be using,  explaining what they did.  He even let me hold and examine them which may sound daft - but it actually took away nearly all the fear I had for those 'horrific' implements.

You're not afraid of the big bad wolf dear woodcutter, you'll be fine at the dentists[;-)]

Just to cheer you up, I think I may have been one of the people on TF with a bit of a horror story.

When I first arrived in France I had a bit of a problem with a tooth and went to a dentist. Apparently extraction was called for, fine, lets get it done..The dentist briefly showed my mouth a needle and then proceeded to break the tooth up and yank the bits out without the anaesthetic (if there was any) taking effect. I hung on to the chair, sweet pouring down my face, trying  not to pass out! He stopped for an instant and asked what the problem was, when I explained he just shrugged and carried on. This was one of my first experiences of living in France, not a good start.

You must tell them that you don't want any pain and make them wait until the anaesthetic takes effect, pain control, even for serious conditions, was not considered necessary in much of France until relatively recent times, I'm told that this may have something to do with religion.

Good luck, Chris

Chris , you know the chainsaw you use on a daily basis? well the noise of te drill is just like that! next time you carve you innocent piece of wood , make sure you talk to it first and tell it that you will be gentle.[img]http://bestsmileys.com/dental/1.gif[/img]

On a more serious note, I too hate the dentist, didn`t visit one for nearly 20 years in UK, then had to. I was put out and had full mouth threatment  in 2 sessions (all fillings, I have no protheses or implants). When we had been in France over 2 years  I lost a front tooth filling. I was petrified, even though I take the children for their checkups, I told him I was scared and even Mr O came with me to make sure I did not escape. 10 mins later I left without feeling a thing, no needle administered. Apparently there is a gel that is being tested (to numb the area worked on) I would recommend that to anyone. Smile.

[quote user="Opas"]

Chris , you know the chainsaw you use on a daily basis? well the noise of te drill is just like that! next time you carve you innocent piece of wood , make sure you talk to it first and tell it that you will be gentle.[img]http://bestsmileys.com/dental/1.gif[/img]

[/quote]

I thought it was Chris Head that does the chainsawing not Chris PP [8-)]

[quote user="Suze"][quote user="Opas"]

[/quote]

I thought it was Chris Head that does the chainsawing not Chris PP [8-)]
[/quote]

Yes it is, read the start of the thread[:)]

My first job was as a dental nurse, I remember one day moaning to the dentist about one of my boyfriends and the dentist trying to cheer me up by saying 'Don't worry, Mr Right will come along' I picked up the 'daycard' (order of patients) and went into the waiting room to call the next patient, who's name just happened to be a 'Mr Right' (sadly, no he wasn't) I was stifling giggles all through the check up, poor guy must have wondered what on earth was going on!![:)][:)]

[quote user="Chris Head"]

I will face it, I just hope they have a defribrillator to hand!

Cheers, chris

[/quote]

If they do, you will be the one using it! no dental nurses in our practice, I am suprised the dentist doesn`t hand the drill to the patient to use and get us to mix our own paste[:)]

Wondering the same thing.....????

Hope you are not too 'numbed up to type' Chris !

Opas - that sounds bells with me, the most modern equipment seems to actually need 4 hands ( vacuuming up the debris, making sure you don't choke on saliva etc), how old is your dentist ?

Off to the butcher in 20 mins or so, it's odd how the brain distorts things, right now I'm scared out of my wits but have been in work situations in the past that have commanded genuine fear that I never felt, I owe you all a pint of creme de menthe for your support, believe me it's appreciated.

In case I don't make it through please make sure my logs don't get cut up for firewood and my chainsaws go to a loving and creative home.

Bye bye

Chris

Russethouse, our dentists age, after discussion with Mr O, is probably either late 40s early 50s.He likes to try his english out with us,not dentisty talk  , mainly the price of Ciggies in the UK!(we dont smoke)

I had a conversation about Dentists with TU just after we arrived in France, as I was supprised that out then 5 year old had to hold the suction thing and keep her tongue out of the way of the drill at the same time, TU said it was usual for Dentists to work on thei own. That particular Dentist went on Maternity leave last year and we were automaticaly switched to the man we have now(we all prefer him and have asked to stay with him) he has an assistant who gets the teeth picture up on his computer screen, if she is not answering the phone  she will mix the paste.....oh and she takes our carte vital and money! 

We have also just had a letter from CPAM informing us that our eldest will be 13 next month( I thought they were very kind to remind me to buy her something[Www]) apparently she can have a free check up to ensure she has a lovely smile(she has.just like her dad[:)] ) So won`t she be happy to come back from her camping trip with Point Jeunes and be told she is off to the dentist.

Congratulations Chris !!!  Have you got to go back ?

Opas, even when I started XX years ago I had to learn to 'hand' the instruments, sort of take and recieve them at the same time so that 'sir' always had the right thing at his finger tips, then there was the charting, mixing, taking the money..... etc. These days with the amount of crown and bridge work that goes on there seem few dentists locally at least who want to work alone. 

Some male dentists wouldn't want to be alone with female patients either. 

Chris , did your dentist have an assistant? I ask because I am now curious . Perhaps ours is now super rich at not paying for an assistant and will probably find I will not be able to get an appointment for afformentioned daughter this side of christmas and that he is going away for a month to the Maldives in August !

Our dentist in the UK always had his well trained assistant to mop up the blood/saliva along with autoclaving the instruments etc, our dentist would never get me alone in a room even if he wanted to.............I am worse than Chainsaw Chris, and need Mr O to stop me leaving mid treatment!

Don`t you feel silly now Chris, bet you will be telling the kids all night how painless it all is and there is nothing to worry about............untill your next appointment.

Yes there was an assistant and a receptionist, it's a super smart setup and M. Vincent was most charming and reassuring, the assistant was great too, she even held my hand at one point until I must've squeezed a bit too hard. No Opas I don't really feel silly at all, the fear and stress were real and haven't disappeared but perhaps over time they might, yes I've got to go back RH but know what to expect next time. You must have seen a thousand like me when you were doing the job?

OK creme de menthe on me (I'll stick to Bolly if that's OK with y'all?), ahhh that reminds me of a post I thought about whilst reclined in M. Vincents chair.

Chris

Glad you survived Chris.

At least part of the difference is that in the UK a dental nurse has a recognised qualification and is registered with the General Dental Council; in France there is no such qualification.

Hoddy