Merry Christmas - to all of you

Russethouse

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason as I heard it was that in the days of horse-drawn traffic the roads tended to be awash with slightly diluted horse dung, and this would be splashed onto the clothes of pedestrians. The man therefore took the 'chivalrous' position and also took the splash. I've also seen it said to be because of the danger of being hit by passing horses/vehicles - and as Christine points out - nothing to do with swords, which would be totally illogical - unless men changed the side of their sword when changing direction...

My husband has said the same thing as Dick; that men protected women from splashes created from passing coaches.  Katie's comments do ring true though.  Back in Kent, quite a few men walked in front of their women.  I can only assume that they did this in the hope that their ladyfriend would be distracted by a tempting shop window, and they could then disappear into one of the numerous pubs...

[quote user="Hoddy"]LOL - she'll probably have the last laugh.

Still don't like the picture though.

Hoddy[/quote]

Why not - don't you agree it makes the bloke look like a complete !§**%# which is obviously what he is.  That was my reaction, anyway.

[IMG]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/cassiscassis/complete/xmas-dancingsanta.gif[/IMG]