ok you can hit me later

egger

Can anyone tell me if edf have English phone line, my friend needs to phone them, lucky for me, my French friend does mine ha ha.   The reason i said you could hit me, was because I know you will have been asked this Question a thousand time [:D], so start hitting after you have told me.

Perhaps the English-speaking representative is on holiday at the moment. Could your friend not try ringing the number and asking if there is anyone who speaks English, as in, for example:

Est-ce qu'il y a quelqu'un là qui parle anglais?

Sue

Egger ..............

I reckon that even for someone who thinks that their French is OK, using it on the phone is especially hard. I certainly found it so, especially with accents to contend with.

However, if you and your friend are living over here, it really is worth a try.  Many nationals speak more English than they let on (!) and will probably be prepared, if not keen, to help you along. What's the worst thing that can happen?   An early end to a phone call.  The best?  You make yourself understood and feel more confident about the next call you receive or have to make.  Who is going to hear and laugh at you?   Only the one person on the other end.

Give it a go, whether it's EDF or someone else.  With respect, you can't live over here and expect the French to speak English.  Bon courage.

Ian

I agree with Gardian about the phone thing; it's tough even if you speak good French as the pointing and gesturing which can get you through a tough situation isn't available to you.  If all else fails, it's probably less stressful to go down to the local office and see somebody in the flesh.  I have friends here who speak hardly any French, but they seem to have muddled along perfectly using this method!

[quote user="cooperlola"]You are welcome.  Happily I am not the violent type so will refrain from hitting you.[:)][/quote]

That's nice of you Coops, but isn't it time the rest of us started to duff eggers up ?[6][;-)]

[quote user="Tresco"]

[quote user="cooperlola"]You are welcome.  Happily I am not the violent type so will refrain from hitting you.[:)][/quote]

That's nice of you Coops, but isn't it time the rest of us started to duff eggers up ?[6][;-)]

[/quote]

Do we take turns or all just pile in??