Annoying Expressions!

Gluestick

This is a thread that could run for ages.

Here are some of the things that irritate me -

a lot as one word, would of instead of would have.

I groan when I hear a politician say 'going forward' which I interpret as an admission that they've made a mess of something and don't want to talk about it.

Why have the clouds on the weather forecast been 'bubbling up' over the last few years ? They never used to.

Why do they call clips of programmes that they would like us to watch 'sneak previews' when they are not the slightest bit sneaky ?

Weedon - thanks for the Les Dawson link - I wasted about half an hour watching that and other clips. At least I was laughing.

Hoddy

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Gluestick"]

"Well, I mean..............." What DO you actually mean? DO you actually know?

And, its derivative: "I mean." Why not say what you actually intend then?

"You know........" If I know, what the hell do need to tell me for?

[/quote]

A former colleague used the expression "Do you know what I mean?" so frequently in her conversations that it became "Dyomean?".  I used to listen to her across the partition and keep score when I had nothing better to do.  Well into three figures some days...

oh... I hate it when someone says "with the greatest respect"  RUBBISH... they never mean with any respect at all!!! [:@]

the other one I hate... Bless... urgh  [+o(]

not sure if this is a good thread or not... now I'm all tense! [:$]

The one I really hate is "basically" - "basically" this and that, what the use is that word.  Usually used by thickos trying to sound intelligent.

And someone who always says "so that we can move forward, they can go forward," when someone has died or someone has lost somebody.  Newsreaders say it immediately something terrible has happened, which is like telling someone they cannot grieve for more than a day as they have to "move forward". I hate that.

[:@]

Georgina

[quote user="Weedon"]

Well I've been thinking about this subject 24-7 and given it 110%.  I only wish I could write the examples of rising and falling intonation in speech that is so common nowadays because I could go on and on...and on.

[/quote]

Amongst others, Stephen Fry pointed out the adoption of the grindingly awful Australian "Strine" habit of finishing all sentences on a rising inflexion, like a question, in fact.

Amazing how so many apparent adults have adopted this: well, we all know the sort of crap TV they watch!

Living in the South East for far too much of each year, I am surrounded with Estuarine English, which is an hybrid combination of Mockney, Essex dialect (which in fact when pure is quite nice and similar, in parts to Suffolk/Norfolk dialect); Afro-Carribean street jive- druggy-crime argo, Oz strine, crass American and goodness knows what else.

The ones that grate in particular are "High Yaagh!!!", in place of hello or good morning/afternoon; "Lat Urgh" instead of "Later". "See Yer!" and a few other choice expressions.

And why oh why do contestants on University Challenge have to say "Hi! I'm Joe Moron from Scumtown and I'm doing..................."

Yuk!

I'm sorry I started this, too, now!

Still one way I guess to excise the inner angst!

[blink]

What about that favourite expression of nearly all the managers in my office: "What is the ask?", "The big ask is..."etc.  And what is wrong with an old-fashioned "question", may I ask?  Absolutely hideous!!! 

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Estate agents also jump onto the bandwaggon of hyperbole. A really ugly blocks of flats, recently built locally on the site of an old garage, cheek by jowl with a Chinese owned fish and chip shop, a level crossing and a range of tatty shops enjoys a board outside describing the abortion as "This stunningly attractive development..............."

It isn't it: it looks like a cubic leggo kit clad with matchsticks!

[/quote]

Gluey

I do understand you were utterly incensed when you wrote the above and I'm sorry to pick you up on it but I couldn't let it pass . It gave me a huge belly laugh.

Surely you meant "abomination"?

Wait till Beijing and all the Brit commentators on the field and track events are talking about "afletics"...whatever those are!

In fact Sweets, I did mean exactly what I wrote.

Or perhaps I ought to say, in modern "Text" lingo, writted. (How the **&&^^%$** &&**+%%% can you say "I texted him"???).

It's an old engineering expression for a misbegotten apology of a design!

Probably adopted from my late Dad.

[:D]

[quote user="Gluestick"]

In fact Sweets, I did mean exactly what I wrote.

Or perhaps I ought to say, in modern "Text" lingo, writted. (How the **&&^^%$** &&**+%%% can you say "I texted him"???).

It's an old engineering expression for a misbegotten apology of a design!

Probably adopted from my late Dad.

[:D]

[/quote]

That really is a new one on me, Gluey.  And it's better than Prince Charles' "carbuncle" by far.