URGENT - Doncaster Earthquake appeal

cabman

[quote user="Gluestick"]

I'm most interested, CK, for you to share your perspective on the UK, then.

Bearing in mind it ought to be reflective of the whole, rather than specific parts, which would not then, of course, be representative.

[/quote]

Even more well put.

I, too, would be interested in CK's view of the UK (as a whole, of course, rather than as a hole[;-)]), and would further be interested in which part of the UK CK hails from?

It has long been part of British (or should it be English - don't know) culture to knock everything, whether home or abroad. Supposed to be famous for being able to laugh at themselves. You don't have to read the Daily Mail (I don't) - the material of any famous comedian will do.

Obviously it is easy to criticise things you hear or read about. So Brits criticise Britain because they have seen (or had shown to them in the media) the problems - violence, binge drinking, urban poverty, rural poverty, drug abuse, corrupt/useless politicians, work-shy spongers, fat cat bosses, etc, etc. There's plenty of truth in it, just as there would be in most modern societies if you compared like with like. But if you have moved from urban Britain (which is most of it in practical terms) to rural France, you will not be comparing like with like unless you make the effort to find out what happens in French cities. (And CK, if Brits can't deal with the language, I question how well they have integrated.)

Hello Mr Zoff, been a while.

There is a point being missed by mile, here, by a number of people who are coming across as pretty starchy.

The original post was a joke. J - O - K - E.

Specifically it was satire, which is exaggeration for comic effect. What was being satirised is a stereotypical image of urban Britain - as several posters have pointed out this script has been doing the rounds for several years and has been aimed at a number of places, north and south.

This is not to say that all forms of humour are acceptable, or that there should be no standards set, but it seems to me that this JOKE is actually pretty harmless, largely because the satire is so coarse; so enough already with the moral highground stuff.

I share Clark's views on this. And Nell's. Every town in the UK will have a few folks like those being satirised, but why pick on them? Because it's easy. Why not ridicule the materialistic middle classes who outnumber them nowadays and who are articulate enough to fight back? And leave Hull out of this - there are lovely people there, I lived there for 25 years.

Clark Kent, it's not only in the south west. There is plenty of that sort of attitude in the north west of France too. And thank you for your refreshing comments.

The earthquake thing was at least done with a degree of wit, and with tongue in cheek. But many of the snide lets-knock-Britain posts (many more of them on certain other France forums than here) have a very unpleasant, almost malicious, tone. To disagree with the comments invites a hail of abuse, 'reasoned argument' to these people representing accusing their detractors of being brainwashed by left wing propaganda - or far worse - rather than trying to justify their observations.

Yet these people are clearly from the right of the political spectrum, the sort of people who not long ago would have counted themselves as patriotic, and defenders of all things British. Their 'defence of Britain' now takes the form of xenophobia, mostly directed against the Islamic world and Eastern Europeans. Now it seems you have to be left of centre to have any true patriotic feelings.

I know I live part-time in what many would consider to be a privileged area. But that does not mean I do not see the other parts. Or some of the less savoury parts of Europe in general. Unlike many of the 'knockers', who seem overjoyed to complain about the state of their home country in one breath, and admit they have not been near the place for five years in the next.

Sadly so many partnerships  link  to create a string of children...who in turn, at a very young age produce more children ....they all seem to grow up with an adoration for wearing fashion of the moment, a diet which only includes fast foods and no concept to design or look to the future...or  search for work.From this patten of life forming breeds the trouble.

It is not something to mock....it is not related just to uk....but it is linked with an ignorance which is very sad and often distructive.

A sad indictment when you can't lampoon yourself, I guess its pernicious side effect of years of politcal correctness brainwasing.

nell seems to have disappeared but if you are there, have you ever read Viz I wonder. In case you mistake it it is comedy, you know ha ha [:D]

Incidentally, I'm sure the Essex version was the original and did the rounds probably 4 or 5 years ago.

Trust me, I know, I'm from Essex and recognised Sharon instantly. I met her at a Christmas party in Billericay and it's just possible I might even be the father of Chardonnay-Mercedes the younger. Allegedly Sharon got pregnant at that party but when asked who the father was could only say, "when you eat a tin of beans how are you supposed to know which one made you f*rt"

[:D][:D][:D]

My objection was not to the original submission - or to its variants. I found them all very amusing, and yes, I like satire and dislike political correctness.

My objection was to the following statement by Trees:

The sad thing, of course, is that we all recognise it as satirising the truth. 21st century Britain.

Satirising Britain is one thing, bad mouthing Britain is another.

Well I don't like some kinds of satire. After all I have grandchildren called Chardonnay and Romeo. Not exactly true but not far off [Www] Bad mouthing Britain in public is as bad as badmouthing your own family.

[quote user="Alan Zoff"]Just as well England has a BRILLIANT rugby team.[/quote]You know I have puzzled long and hard about this comment yet it's relevance still eludes me completely. Are you saying that if a country has a good sports team its OK then and everything else is excused ?

Oh, wait a minute, I get it now, its a J -O - K - E [:D] - or is it [8-)]

[quote user="Patf"]After all I have grandchildren called Chardonnay and Romeo. Not exactly true but not far off [Www] [/quote]But do they live in Billericay though ?

That was another J - O - K - E BTW

[:D]

Billericay, Little Ern?

Surely Chardonay and Romeo would live in Basildon.

Those living in Billericay would be much more precious and be called Sebastien, Chantelle, Denzil etc.

Or now, the diminutive as a name, such as Jack, Jill, Jim etc.

Which is probably the most worrying of all.....................

[quote user="serrif"]

Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you cry alone.

The British are known for their satire....Long may it continue

[/quote]

"serrif" you have my vote!

--------------------------

"That was the week that was"

David Frost fronted this first satirical programme on british telly in the sixties, and it was a great success, paving the way for many satirical writers to follow.

[quote user="ErnieY"]

[quote user="Alan Zoff"]Just as well England has a BRILLIANT rugby team.[/quote]You know I have puzzled long and hard about this comment yet it's relevance still eludes me completely. Are you saying that if a country has a good sports team its OK then and everything else is excused ?

Oh, wait a minute, I get it now, its a J -O - K - E [:D] - or is it [8-)]

[[:D]

[/quote]

The post - like the England performance - was a "joke". (As was the OP on this thread, which has prompted a serious discussion about what it is acceptable to say about one's country of origin, as well as it seems the difference between a joke, satire, sarcasm or slagging off.) So I wasn't saying anything at all as heavy as you have deduced, Ernie.

In all truth, my post had as much to do with having consumed a large quantity of alcohol, firstly in anticipation of a great rugby match and later to drown sorrows, as it had anything remotely to do with the thread. So a poor excuse, really, and apologies for having puzzled anyone.

Alan:

It was a big let down, wasn't it?

With memories, a few years ago, of a wonderful time spent with dear English chums, at their B & B in Northern France, watching England tanning the ar** of France and JW kicking that incredible drop goal to win, it's a real anti-climax.

Scotland are playing well: Ireland also: as for Wales...................

What on earth has happened to England?

Are they back in one of those deep troughs, again?

Dunno.

[:(]