Bored with the Olympics already

AnOther

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That s right Bugbear..

I understood the  point of view of people who said that having the Olympics there could highlight China's repressive sytem, but I find not much, in reality almost nothing is said on TV, in the papers, about China, ( or I ve missed it..) , so I like this Amnesty International poster..

Disturbing but ..

[IMG]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/regine79/amnestyinternational-china-olympics.jpg[/IMG]

Interesting article in yesterday's telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2008/08/18/do1804.xml

"There is not much we can recall of fondness from the regime of John Major, but when he launched the National Lottery in 1994 not even he can have believed it would result in this weekend's roll call of triumph....

But slowly, the benefits have worked through. Slowly, the governing bodies have learnt how best to use the money coming their way. And it is important to remember, this is all about sporting development: no one is getting rich on this...

there is no doubt those winning British sports have spent their bounty wisely. And as you enjoy the colourful cavalcade of gold, silver and bronze; as the fact that, this morning, Britain stands above France, Germany and - sweetest of all - Australia in the medal table produces an extra spring in your step, give a nod to the man who started it all. Grey is the colour of these Games."

[quote user="valB"] When does it all finish as I am at screaming point.[/quote]

Val, I feel for you - I really do. It is probably no good saying to you "If you can't beat them, join them!"???? although for YEARS I was being utterly uninterested in any kind of sport - and now gradually developing not just a tolerance, but quite a passion for them. Maybe it could happen to you too?

The J.O. finish on Sunday (24th). Just a few more days.

" join them "  never, never, never.    OH is a cricket fanatic as well and has been for many years...say no more..yawn, yawn !!!!!!  I do appreciate human endeavour but not from opening my eyes until I close them again.

Not a cricket fan until we went to live in Taunton.  We had a house not half a mile from the flat that Ian Botham and Viv Richard owned.  Not only that, our local was the same as theirs.

To cap it all, we could go to the Club, although not members, have a drink, have lunch, be let in free for the end of matches.  And, well..........what could you do but get interested?

Britain is doing really brilliantly. Even in the men's triathlon this morning, (I got up at 5 to watch the end of it live!), there was this British lad who looked like he might do something.

In fact, Britain is doing so well that there are people beginning to wonder about doping. But the French do wonder about anyone who is not French and who does well, especially l'Equipe, who suspects everyone, including their own French athletes if they do well!!! At this rate, nobody will ever dare win anything again!

A number of French commentators keep calling Scottish Chris Hoy "l'Anglais". I wonder whether Chris would be too pleased about this.... but on the whole, they are very impressed by Great Britain's performance, and say how well it augures for the 2012 London Olympics.

It'll be back to business by the time London comes. There'll be too much hype, especially from the tabloids who will expect GB to repeat this Olympics just because it's on home soil and because they think they'll have a god given right to win everything. This will put unnecessary pressure on the competitors and then when it all goes tits up, said tabloids will be the first to jump into the executioners chair. Just like when England get into a major finals competition.

I think we have deviated from BORED  to ISN'T IT GREAT.  What will OH do next week when he has to prize himself away from the box. I was told not to put the cleaner around this morning so I just said " go forth and multiply ".  We now have a clean house after all his tuts and sighs.

Predictable !

As I started the thread I'll drag it back on topic shall I.

Apart from the fact that the boring nonsense seems to have been going on FOR BL00DY EVER how does something as pathetic as BMX biking became an Olympic sport and how on earth does a picture of it get to occupy pole position on the Olympics.org home page [:-))]

Whilst I'm on a roll, what place do team events have in there. Stuff like the relay race I can accept but Polo and Football, give over !

[quote user="ErnieY"]

Apart from the fact that the boring nonsense seems to have been going on FOR BL00DY EVER how does something as pathetic as BMX biking became an Olympic sport and how on earth does a picture of it get to occupy pole position on the Olympics.org home page [:-))]

[/quote]

1. BMX made the front pages because of a Brit competitor doing what Brits do best - spectacular failure (but on that front the US relay team did pretty well - not just GB)

2. To deny the hosts so many opportunities to cheat and perhaps make life more exciting, ban all "sports" where the outcome is dependent on judges opinions rather than fastest, furthest, highest etc. Boxing and fencing could stay in but the winner has to draw blood.  

3. If it is so boring, Ernie, why are you even looking at the .org page ? I suspect that you are really a closet supporter and have now outed yourself. [6]

John

[quote user="Iceni"]If it is so boring, Ernie, why are you even looking at the .org page ? I suspect that you are really a closet supporter and have now outed yourself.[/quote]Absolutely not [+o(]

Out of curiosity I Googled for a list of events simply to see what other ridiculous events there were and Olympics.org was the first hit.

One of the papers suggested we would be certain gold winners at synchronized binge drinking  ! Now there is  a sport Ernie ...couple of hours on the ale  then onto the BMX bikes .... include in it the high diving  pool     ....... got to be worth watching .!

[quote user="ErnieY"]
Out of curiosity I Googled for a list of events simply to see what other ridiculous events there were and Olypmics.org was the first hit.

[/quote]

Aahh, you're playing the Chris Langham defence. But of course I believe you.

John

"If there was an olympic sport in queueing, the French would win gold, silver and bronze. They seem to love it for some reason."

Have you ever gone skiing?

Sadly the British seems to be losing the the ability to queue. Our local bus station is devised to ensure that queueing is not rewarded, the buses stop at random places and passengers just mob on to the transport.

[quote user="Renaud"]"Sadly the British seems to be losing the the ability to queue. Our local bus station is devised to ensure that queueing is not rewarded, the buses stop at random places and passengers just mob on to the transport.[/quote]

The bendy buses have made queuing non-existent - along with several buses all arriving at the same stop and the same time.  A rugby scrum / free for all ensues.  Couldn't happen in France, could it, after all everyone there is so polite :)  Ha! Ha!