Recycled rubbish mountain..Whats the answer ?

Frederick

It appears that we are about to be faced with a mountain of unwanted rubbish as the recycle industry has seen prices fall drastically and they are now stuck with huge amounts of unwanted material ..Even scrap metal is not being taken due to a fall in steel production . Councils are worried they will be collecting the stuff we recycle and have no place to store it as the recyclers refuse to take it ....Army training land I believe is going to be requested to be used in the UK to dump the stuff on .....We have all been "trained " to recycle and encouraged not to burn it .... I can see that being relaxed ... remermber the galvanised garden incinerators  you could get from the ironmongers ....whats the answer ? I  think nobody saw this one coming !  

Well, it may be better to subsidize people to use it up, in the short term, then, in the longer term,  make sure we dont produce it in the first place. But I am sure that Western manufacturers are quite capable of being as competitive as the Chinese or whoever is flavour of the month, if they are pushed with a little carrot and stick

Chris has been looking at those galvanised things for months now over here and been trying to work out how it will fit into the car to take to France, 'cos he says he has never seen one over there!

Might be a good idea for Bricomarche to start selling them.

[quote user="Frederick"] ....whats the answer ? [/quote]

Energy from waste incenerators.  There was to be one built in Portsmouth a few years ago, but the NIMBYS stopped it.  They get rid of waste and produce energy without burning fossil fuels or using nuclear energy.  Win win with good flue gas cleaning technology.[:D]

Having watched Paul Merton's trip around India I think that recycling may need re-inventing. I was amazed that thousands of people could stand around and live in such filth.  The Countries that do collect materials for recycling seem to have lost the market at the moment. The Clean Air brigade seem to have put the block on any means of burning it and getting a source of energy from it ,so it seems that for any biodegradeable material the answer may well return to Landfill. Surely there are plenty of big holes in the UK?

To reduce the amount the Government need to look at the source not fine everyone for putting the wrong bit in the wrong bin. Do you really need to have your cabbage/lettuce etc shrinkwrapped? The size of the box seems of as much importance  as the contents. Whatever happened to paper bags? Put a few pence on a glass pop/beer/wine bottle and they might not be strewn all over the town centres.

Regards.

[quote user="Maricopa"]

[quote user="Frederick"] ....whats the answer ? [/quote]

Energy from waste incenerators.  There was to be one built in Portsmouth a few years ago, but the NIMBYS stopped it.  They get rid of waste and produce energy without burning fossil fuels or using nuclear energy.  Win win with good flue gas cleaning technology.[:D]

[/quote]

Not so, according to this report

The simple answer is - stop producing and buying all the things that make the waste. There is no real alternative. As I can't see that happening, its only going to get worse...

Danny

[quote user="Jane and Danny"]Not so, according to this report

The simple answer is - stop producing and buying all the things that make the waste. [/quote]

My point being that having used oil or whatever to produce the product that becomes tomorrow waste, it would be better to use that to produce energy than just burying it in the ground, where it will be no good for anything else for a LONG time.

However, I entirely agree with your second point[:D]

If only...................................

I wonder if FoE would review their conclusions 2.5 years on and after we have seen the impact of using biomass to generate fuel - ie esclating food costs and in the longer term starvation for the masses (maybe not Europe).

But then I guess fewer people means less pressure on the planet so maybe not.

But you are 100% right Danny, if you don't use it you don't need to recycle it.