What were your favourite toys as a child ?

Bugsy

Pre lego I had Betta builda - but I never forgave my mum for giving away my zoo with all enclosures, farm and Britains Petite garden including greenhouse, lawns, vegetables and flowers. As I went to boarding school, I would come home and find we might have moved so I might have lost new toys/games. I still though have my teddy (I'm nearly 56) that my dad bought me aged 4 - he died when I was 6! It came back and forward to school with me, so never got lost.

Don't remember any dolls (had one, never played with it) too much of  tomboy perhaps.  Inside, card games: outside, can only remember tin can squat.  There were three of us, and not enough money for 3 bikes, so none at all.....

But oh - I read, and read and read.  Not for nothing was I called dormouse - I could loose myself in a book (and still can......!!!)

My brother was in the Merchant Navy and visited Hog Kong in the late 50's - he returned with two huge dolls, one dressed in pink one in blue plus a sports car controlled by a wire ( hood up or down, forward or back, automatic backing away from objects in the way) and a helicopter controlled in the same way. At the time they were real novelties....

Later my mother joined the PTA of a local school and donated many of my toys to the jumble - I wasn't happy [:@]

[quote user="gardengirl "]Gardian, we have some Bayko in the loft, along with Hornby Dublo, which I'm told must be called that, as it's different from Hornby! Don't know why! ;o) We also have some old lead soldiers from just after WW2.[/quote]

Well, Bayko was that 'system' which used punched squares of plastic, steel rods (as uprights) & plastic bricks which slotted inbetween. It was good.

Minibrix used small rubber bricks which interlinked - again good, but very 'brown'.

Hornby was .............. Hornby, but Dublo was '00' gauge, introduced early 50's, & half the size of '0' gauge (which was the normal pre-war size).  Triang was the other major manufacturer of '00' gauge model railways in our era. Loads more to tell, but that's more info than you need, eh?

I've told OH that when she 'pops her clogs' [6], I'm going to build a really nice outdoor '00' gauge GWR / SR railway around the 'estate'. She says "In your dreams", which I think is a little harsh, um? 

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Minibrix used small rubber bricks which interlinked - again good, but very 'brown'.

My minibrix were cream green and pink...[8-)]

[/quote]

PINK !!!!

that didn't come out very well ........

PINK !!!!!

We had very few toys and I think we valued them more in consequence. I remember being fascinated by the sight of my father and my uncle shaving. Convinced that his whiskers would grow again, I shaved my teddy's face. He still sits in my bedroom and waits .......

Hoddy

Like several posters I was a veritable bookworm (still am), always at least two books a week from the mobile library. I once nearly set the house on fire because I was so immersed in a book.  A doll called Rosebud, two teddies (Big Teddy, who 'grumbles', and Little Teddy who's blue) which I still have, much to Mr FN's amusement. [:D] A dolly's tea set from my auntie Elsie. A second-hand bike, with 24" wheels as I remember. In wet weather when not reading, ludo, scrabble, snakes and ladders.

These are all fond memories of fairly simple things that make up the richness of our lives. I don't know whether it's because they are childhood memories that make them unforgettable, but I don't seem to remember in such detail the things and events from adulthood.

FairyNuff