Farewell to the Scots at Number 10 ?

LEO

The outgoing PM is Scottish ,with an English surname.

The incoming PM is English with a Scottish surname. ( and a Scottish father and grandfather )

It seems impossible to extinguish the Scots.

[quote user="Marym2"]For a lot of people who does not care about his scottish roots, 'GOOD RIDDANCE' about time this non elected person was gone fron Number 10 forever.[/quote]

Not strictly ''non elected''.  He was elected as MP by his (misguided) constituents. Thats the only election ANY PM needs, in respect of the public anyway. The chosen PM is the choice of his party MPs,  not the voting public.

I am very glad he is gone though.

Yes, Steve, it annoyed me thoroughly when even BBC news commentators said that Brown was an unelected leader, etc.  I felt they should at least have known this basic fact.  Of course, the Conservatives also used the word "unelected" but I could understand that they were using the word deliberately as a political tool.

Of course, all PMs are unelected, as you have explained.  We do not have a presidential system, therefore we do not "elect" the PM.  We elect MPs who then choose the PM.

I beg to differ, I'm sure everyone is aware that all MP's are elected, and no additional election is required for the premiership, (not presidential style).
However Cameron, Blair and all the others as far as I'm aware, stood for election as an MP declaring themselves the potential prime minister of their party, unlike Brown - (has any other premier been parachuted in?)

What about Callaghan and, more recently, Major?  The PM does not need to be elected in the sense that the public has to vote for him or her.

OK, then, if Cameron were to drop down dead (no, no, I don't wish that, of course) what do you think the Conservatives would do?

Let Nick Clegg take a step up?  Call another election immediately?

I think not..........they'll just choose someone amongst themselves to be PM.

I think the main criticism of Brown not being "elected" leader of the Labour Party was that no-one stood against him for the leadership - at the time it was referred to as a "coronation".  Many commentators seem to think he would have had more "legitimacy" had he won a leadership context.

The word "elect", Thibault, means "to choose". " Brown was chosen by his party as leader; there was no voting (if that's what you mean) because there were no other candidates. Had his election been contested, there would have been a much-needed debate about the values and purposes of the Labour Party, which I assume will take place now.

Sorry, but (unlike in the case of GB who was uncontested), Labour leaders are elected not just by MPs but also by party members.  I know this because I voted in the election which resulted (nothing to do with me, I might add - I voted for somebody else) in TB becoming leader.

The full - complicated - system is outlined here:

http://www.parliament.uk/documents/commons/lib/research/briefings/snpc-03938.pdf

On the subject of GB's departure from Downing Street, I have just been laughing hysterically at a US take on the way in which Britain sees off outgoing leaders.  You can still catch it on More4+1 in 30 minutes.  (21.30.)

http://www.thedailyshow.com/